Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Studio Project Life Challenge

Happy Sunday, y'all!  I'm here to share my take on The Studio's brand new challenge.  We're looking for pages inspired by Project Life, minus the pockets, this week.  I'll admit that I'm not a fan of Project Life.  The thought of documenting so many photos overwhelms me.  Plus, I think the grid design gets a little dry from page to page to page, but it's not very often that I use such for my own layouts.  So, despite my hesitation and after a little jumpstart from our fearless leader Anna, as well as inspiration from the challenge sites below, here's what I came up with.
I started this page by trimming my photos the same size as the Project Life cards, rounding their corners, and displaying them in the grid design, as seen above, near the left edge of a piece of Whisper White cardstock.  I then filled in the rest of the cardstock base with a large piece of gray, gradient, patterned paper, which had its right corners rounded and was secured in place with red-threaded, straight, machine stitches; trimmed the space between it and the photo grid with a strip of red, stripe, patterned paper, anchored with more red-threaded, straight, machine stitches; and used it as the backdrop for my "what a difference A COUPLE OF months MAKE" title, which was created from aqua mini letters, Nerdy Glitter Alphas, gray Alphabeans, and red shadow letters.
My red, stripe strip was then embellished with a bit of Storybook Washi Tape, as well as a trio of aqua buttons, laced with white string.  Beginning in the top left corner and working our way across and down, the first rectangle was dressed up with lots of little chipboard and paper, phrase bits, from "thankful" and "Love You" to "remember this", "FAMILY", and "BROTHER", as well as an aqua, resin flower.
The first photo was wrapped with a length of Baker's Twine, tied in a bow, and embellished with a "2 wks" label, created with more Nerdy Glitter Alphas, as well as a "DATE:" 02/16/14, cardstock sticker.
The second photo received a super simple treatment with a lone, chipboard, heart tab.
It's corresponding, Project Life card was dressed up with half of a die-cut heart, anchored with red-threaded, straight, machine stitches and topped with both a "7" tag to represent Kaden's seventh week and a bit of vintage flair.
Moving down into the last row, the first card houses all my journaling, which reads, You had me so worried the 1st few weeks of your life.  You weren't gaining weight, sleeping all the time, & never letting your personality shine through.  We were @ the pediatrician every few days for weight checks & tests & nursing every 2 hrs., so you wouldn't expend more energy than you were taking in.  So glad we made it through!!
My final photo was dressed up with a "9 WKS" label, created from aqua, block letters, as well as a circle tag, labeled with the April 11, 2014 date, to complete the look.
Further inspiration for this layout came from Creative Scrappers' Sketch #270, which I've rotated 90 degrees to the left...
and Let's Capture Our Memories' June Color Spot.
Please be sure to stop by the challenge link above to get all your challenge details, as well as to be thoroughly inspired by this talented team.  Thanks so much for stopping by, friends!  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Paper: Whisper White (SU); gray gradient (JBS); red stripe (MME); red polka dot (BoBunny) Ink: Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: red thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Cameo (Silhouette); Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers); Nerdy Glitter Alphas (Sassafras); gray Alphabeans (Jillibean Soup); aqua mini & block alphas (October Afternoon); red shadow alphas & vintage flair (JBS); chipboard bits (Bella Blvd.); cut phrases (Crate Paper); aqua resin flower (The Ribbon Reel); Project Life cards (American Crafts); "DATE:" cardstock sticker (MME); Baker's Twine (Clean Country Paper Supplies); "7" & circle tags (Elle's Studio); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); buttons (unknown); white string (Hobby Lobby); storybook Washi Tape (Paper Bakery)

21 comments:

Kat said...

I love, love, LOVE this page!! im going to have to scraplift it!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I haven't done PL either ... with working full time, I can't fathom taking that many photos during the month... lol!! I loveeeeeee your page!! Perfect take on the challenge! LOVING the photos (his eyes are so EXPRESSIVE!!!) and loveeeeeee the colors!!!!!

Tracey McNeely said...

This is so sweet Jinny, and yes what a difference a few months makes!

Lisa said...

I love this layout featuring your newest little pumpkin!

Leanne said...

oh wow! LOVE this LO..x

Ashley Horton said...

I am so with you on PL, Jinny!!! Not a fan. But I really love how you used the PL inspired look on your layout, and genius idea turning the CS sketch!! It worked perfectly for a PL style design!!

alexandra s.m. said...

What a beautiful layout Jinny!
I love the concept too!
You're baby boy is growing so fast!
HUgs~

Ros Crawford said...

Simply beautiful and it's so great to see how that little guy has fought and gone on to be so adorable ... I always admire your creative talent ... Well done Jinny!

Meihsia Liu said...

Such a precious layout, Jinny. Love every beautiful details. Those photos are precious <3

Charlene said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE! Love the page, pics of Karden, especially the one where his eyes are so big, cuteness!!!!

Miae said...

Jinny what an awesome take on the sketch! I completely understand your feelings about PL...ditto them myself but you did such a fabulous job incorporating the PL feel while still keeping it scrappy!

Miriam Prantner said...

Love how you turned the sketch, this such a sweet layout and all your journaling will be so appreciated in the future!

Tracy said...

Wow, I have missed some amazing layouts. The way you used the sketches always turns out to be a thrill. So sorry I'm behind, but I really needed a bit of a break. I know you understand and frankly don't know where you are finding the time to create. You are one super busy lady. I'm glad you still find some fun time for yourself and I'm glad to hear that you feel a little more settled about what to do about housing for right now. All in God's time. Sounds like He still has work for you there. Take care my sweet friend! Hugs!

~Tammy~ said...

For not being a fan, you have done an amazing job! You would never know!

I seriously can't get over how much he looks like Ezekiel. So so cute!

So glad things are going well with his growth. I can't talk to you about this in email. I've been there and we are still there. I understand your worry.

Sharon Fritchman said...

Your photos are simply amazing and so darn cute! I love them!! And how you jumped into PL, too! Your pages is perfect! I have not tried it yet, because I just can't find the time, but I admires those who do, Jinny!!!! Will keep all of you in my prayers!

Monique Liedtke said...

This is so adorable! Love the photos and love all the little bits and pieces!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Such a fun page Jinny. Love the cheerful colors, the journaling cards... the buttons looks cute.

Sanna Lippert said...

such a gorgeous page, Jinny! love the misting and the arrangement! ..and the title :) gorgeous! xoxo, Sanna

Larissa Heskett said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! What a CUTIE!! I LOVE this layout and the FUN colors and design!! =) THANKS for sharing and have a Fabulous Week!! =)

Aurelie said...

Awesome job, Jinny! Love all the journalling and that sweet face is so darn cute! Thanks for playing along with us over at Let's Capture Our Memories!!

Maria said...

Just absolutely darling! Love all the sweet photos of Kayden! So glad that things are going better regarding his growth!:-)

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS