On the Road to Beautiful

Sunday, September 20, 2009

I was so encouraged that maybe, just maybe, we might be doing a few things right, as far as parenting goes, this morning in church.  Glen Kahler preached a sermon entitled "Parental Engagement Required."  Lately, parenting Ezekiel, with his little, growing fits and back talking, has been a HUGE chore.  Some days, I just want to pull out all my hair; but then, I think, "What if I've got a misshappen head?"  Other days, I want to throw my hands in the air and walk out the front door, but that would be child neglect and endangerment.  Glen called attention to the scripture many Christian parents seem to draw encouragement from, in Proverbs 22:6, which says, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  I love how he defined train as "creating a hunger in your child to learn according to their bent."  He reminded us that not every child learns the same way, and every child is unique.  Ezekiel definitely floats that boat!  I know that sometimes Ezekiel may get a little lost along the way, but if I remember that he is simply "On the Road to Beautiful," as Charlie Hall so eloquently puts it, and don't give up on bettering his training, one day, he too, will find his wings and fly.

Yesterday, we had an awesome day being outside in the gorgeous weather, working in the yard, and enjoying one another's company.  Look what we did!

The shed is now affectionately called our little barn thanks to three coats of Sherwin Williams' Real Red paint.  I love it!  It's my little bit of country in the big city.  We wanted to get it finished before a neighborhood BBQ we're having, at our house, this Friday.  (BJ won Zarda BBQ for ten, in a drawing, and we decided that getting to know our neighbors better was the best way to celebrate.)

Then, on a routine trip to Wal-Mart, we found these beautiful, fall to spring Pansies.  I didn't purchase them at first, but I couldn't stop thinking and talking about them.  When BJ ran to Lowe's, to get more mulch for my gardens, you know I had to ask him to look at the pansies, too.  He brought me home these!

Aren't they just gorgeous?!  I'm crossing my fingers that they last all winter in our sunny, front yard.  I totally wasn't thinking about planting anything new, in my gardens, this fall; but these beauties are sure to give a warm welcome, to all our visitors, with their delicate, little faces.

Today, I thought that I'd share the BBQ invitation that I sent out to all our neighbors.
 
I cut the shape to look like a BBQ apron, using my Fiskars' oval cutter.  I used the orange cardstock face as a frame for a checkered, patterned paper by My Mind's Eye.  The apron pocket was hand cut and machine stitched, before it was embossed with "YOU'RE Invited."  I finished off the pocket with an apple stamp, which I colored, before stamping, with Green Galore, Chocolate Chip, and Garden Green ink.  A little glitter, to add some shimmer, on the front, and a dimensional, on the back, prepped it for its new home.  I set Really Rust eyelets on either corner, of the top, of the apron, to thread orange ribbons through, knotted each ribbon on one end, and joined the other ends in a bow.

No comments: