Labor Day

Monday, September 14, 2009

So I thought that I'd begin by sharing how we've been enjoying this fabulous, fall weather.  Last Monday was Labor Day, and we headed to the KC Zoo, for free... thanks to the membership my in-laws gave us for Christmas last year.
 
We decided that it was about time we paid Africa a visit.  We haven't gone to that section of the zoo all summer.  It's just been too hot for all that walking.  However, today, the early, fall weather drew us to the unknown prairies, and we were so glad it did.  Ezekiel was so surprised to see hippos, giraffes, zebras, and rhinos.  I guess he'd forgotten all about them in our long absence from Africa.
 
  
 
This rhino seemed super mad to be all cooped up.  He was pacing all over the place.  I felt sorry for him... not that I wanted him out of those bars near me, but maybe he needed a playmate or a change of scenery or a pond, that wasn't all covered with algae, to cool off in.  I don't know.  I do know that he looked extremely unhappy.  Ezekiel, however, had fun using his physique to make dinosaur comparisons; and BJ couldn't help telling the story, yet again, of getting peed on, at the Garden City Zoo, by one of this guy's friends, when he was a kid.
 
After a picnic lunch, we paid a quick visit to the Tropics, where Adina found a new friend.  She could've watched this guy all day.  His tongue quickly became an instant attraction to all the kiddos nearby.
Then, we took another snap of the kids on the baby elephant (It seems to be becoming a tradition.), before hitting the gift shop and heading home for a nap.  Ezekiel was all decked out in his Chiefs jersey for a free, promotional, chicken sandwich dinner, with Daddy, at Chick-fil-A.

I want to leave you with one of my recent creations.  I had a few nine-month pictures of Adina to still send out to family and friends, so they received their photo care of this beauty.

The polka dots were embossed with clear embossing powder.  The flourishes were stamped in white ink, and I used Stampin' Up's Scallop punch on the bottom paper layer.  I tied each layer together with a zig-zag stitch and used a technique that I learned at stamp club on the sentiment.  I cannot remember what it's called, but My Stampin' Up Demonstrator, Kim, just commented that the technique is called rock and roll.  I made it by inking up the stamp using Tempting Turquoise ink.  Then, before stamping, I brushed the edges of the stamp with Taken With Teal ink.  After stamping, I punched it out with Stampin' Up's Square Scallop punch and used a dimensional to pop it off the background.  A few gemstones and a Target ribbon purchase add just the right amount of bling.
  
If you haven't gotten your card/picture yet, don't worry.  I'm working on a new, card design.  I ran out of ribbon for mass producing this one.

1 comment:

Kim Ryden said...

Love the color combo and the card that I received in the mail! I think the technique that you are thinking about is Rock and Roll.

Love the Etsy shop too!