Mom's Chocolate Sheet Cake

Thursday, September 17, 2009

I've been craving Mom's Chocolate Sheet Cake for a couple of weeks now.  BJ and I are not big fans of chocolate cake, but there's something about this recipe that keeps drawing us back for more... maybe it's the nostalgia of Mom's, sweet smelling kitchen or the cooler, fall weather calling me to bake.  Wherever the craving came from, it was satisfied, at dinner, last night (and then again, at lunch, today).  Yum!  Yum!
Even Adina couldn't stop shoveling it in!  Isn't it just too cute how her left eye closes slightly more than her right, when she smiles real big?!
Yesterday afternoon, I got a text from my sister, Cristi, saying that she had finally gotten her driver's license.  Get off the road, people!  Just kidding... Kinda!  Anyway, this card is for her.  Congratulations, lady!
Purple is Cristi's favorite color, so I decided to make a monochromatic, purple card with the exception of my neutral white.  I started with the top layer of patterned paper by Frances Meyer.  I then layered on a deep purple cardstock, which I embossed with clear polka dots, although it's difficult to tell from the picture.  There's a little bit of shine attributing to their existence.  I then finished off the bottom edge with a little, white scallop, using Stampin' Up's Scallop punch, and straight stitched all three layers together with white thread.  I colored the words of my CONGRATS! stamp with Eggplant Envy ink and the little star with Pale Plum.  I then glittered up the star for a little more shine, punched the sentiment out using Stampin' Up's Scallop Circle punch, and cut slits in the upper and lower halves to thread a fringed, white ribbon through.  A couple dimensionals, on the back, pop it off the card face; and a little bow, above, adds the perfect finishing touch.

No comments: