Another Cold and Gloomy Day

Friday, October 9, 2009

It's another cold and gloomy day.  We've been cooping by enjoying several different soup recipes, and are, now, redirecting our weekend plans toward making/canning apple goodies.  We've still got a few of those Pome on the Range apples lying around... just a few.

They're so yummy!  I'm making a mental note to plan to go again next year, when the Golden Delicious apples are ripe for picking.

We've also been busy with school and having fun creating.  Check out this cute, little, owl mask Ezekiel made, in art class today, out of brown (light and dark) and orange craft foam, feathers, and string.

We had a plan to make a different owl project, but he found this one in his Your Big Backyard magazine and wanted to try it out.  I can remember, when I had to really push him to pull out the Playdough and paints.  Now, he wants to try several other projects, before our usual, Friday, art class can even roll around.

Before I leave you, I want to wish my mother-in-law a very happy birthday!  Here's the card she'll be getting in her mailbox today.

I think that I've said it before, but fall is my favorite time of year, and I don't know too many people with fall birthdays.  So, usually, I make her a very fall birthday card; but this year, I thought that I'd switch up the colors a bit.  I still got a little acorn in there, though.

I started by stamping the flourishes, with Moonlight White, Brilliance, archival, pigment ink, on a blue, card base.  The little acorn images were clear embossed right over the top.  I'm just loving the effect that technique creates right now, and I'm sure you'll be seeing it much more.  I, then, layered on a piece of purple cardstock, stamped several times with the "happy birthday" sentiment, inked with Lovely Lilac ink.  A couple little white dots, created using my uni-ball, Signo, white, gel pen, separate each wish.  The final, olive green, cardstock layer was punched across the bottom edge, using Martha Stewart's Doily Lace Edger punch.  I, then, connected all three layers with several, white threaded, wavy, machine stitches.  I thought the wavy stitches really complimented the flourishes and leafy swirls and created an elegant look.  Finally, I wrapped an olive green ribbon around the card face, tied it in a bow, and declared it ready for delivery.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Thank you for my beautiful card again this year. When I got home from work I couldn't wait to get the mail! Ezekiel, w-w-h-h-o-o is it under that owl mask? Is it you? Sorry your camping trip didn't happen.
Love, Ellen/Grandma