Cards for Kate

Monday, October 19, 2009

A little lady named Kate McRae has been heavy on my heart and deeply in my prayers.

She's five-years-old and was diagnosed with a brain tumor the end of June.  Her dad is a pastor at Cornerstone Christian Fellowship in Phoenix, Arizona; and she has an older sister, Olivia, and a younger brother, Will.

You can read about and follow Kate's difficult journey, through the words of her mother, here.  I first heard her story on Jennifer McGuire's blog.  Jennifer started a card drive for Kate and her family in August, and Ezekiel and I are sending her family a card and pictures, just to let them know we're praying for a miracle.  Click here, if you'd like to join Jennifer's card drive; and even if you don't care to send a card, please join the ever-growing remnant of faith believing people who are asking God to rain healing down upon little Kate.

I tapped into all that gorgeous K&Company paper I bought at Target last month for Kate's card.  I began with their heart paper and layered behind it a piece of hot pink cardstock, punched using Stampin' Up's Scallop punch.  A white threaded, zig-zag stitch joined the two; before they were adhered to the pink, card base, just above the "Praying for you" sentiment, which was stamped in Pixie Pink ink.  I, then, stuck one of the K&Company, owl stickers on white cardstock, just to give it a little more presence and make it stronger, before cutting it out and adhering it, using dimensionals, on the heart paper.  I added a little hand cut, brown, cardstock branch and green, cardstock leaves just below him.  A loose, straight stitch was machine stitched across the top of a Stampin' Up, So Saffron ribbon.  The ends of the string were, then, pulled, to gather the ribbon into a flower.  I, then, hand stitched it, as well as the hot pink button, onto the card front, over the branch, with hot pink, embroidery floss.  The loose ends of the embroidery floss were anchored in a little bow, and the top, right corner of the card was rounded using Stampin' Up's Corner punch.  I felt like the card was still missing something, so I hand cut a little, white cloud from cardstock, glittered it, and adhered it just above and behind the fun owl.

I know it's just a card, but my prayer is that it brings Kate's family a sense of peace in knowing that so many people have been touched by their story and are praying for their precious daughter.

No comments: