WCMD Challenge #1: Japan

Monday, October 5, 2009

It was a busy weekend, and I have tons of pictures to show you, but they'll have to wait for another day.  There are more exciting adventures that await today.  Nicole Heady posted four, awesome, World Card Making Day (WCMD) challenges, with fabulous prizes, over at her blog, and I just had to jump on board.  She challenged her readers to create a project that was inspired by the colors, the design, or the themes prominent in the culture given by her.  Our first stop in the WCMD challenge is Japan.

I have a Stampin' Up, hostess set, called Gifts of the Orient, that I got years and years ago, that was perfect for this challenge, and Nicole's images above gave me all the inspiration I needed.

First, I stamped the fan, with Elegant Eggplant ink, on white cardstock.  A little glitter gave it some depth and sparkle.  Second, I stamped the wooden, Japanese people, with Jet Black, StazOn ink, on white cardstock.  I colored them with So Saffron, Always Artichoke, Brilliant Blue, Real Red, Elegant Eggplant, and Creamy Caramel inks.  I also clear embossed the girl's hair to give it some shine.  Third, I colored and stamped the fish kite in Brilliant Blue, Real Red, and Always Artichoke inks.  I, then, hand drew the kite strings and added a Stampin' Up, Ice Circles, rhinestone brad for the eye.  All three images were arranged on a red, cardstock frame and then again, on a white, cardstock frame.  I trimmed the lower edge of the white, cardstock frame with Stampin' Up's Scallop punch.  I, then, popped the frames off the dark purple, card base with dimensionals and tied a bright red ribbon in a bow around the far left side of the card base.  At one time, I knew how to tie a kimono bow, but my memory has failed me for this challenge.  So, I trimmed the ribbon ends close to the bow to simulate the way they disappear behind the fabric belt in Japan.

No comments: