WCMD Challenge #3: India

Monday, October 5, 2009

Our third stop in the WCMD challenge is India.

I just love all the beautiful, bright colors of this culture, and the movie Bend it Like Beckham, along with Nicole's images of course, was great inspiration.  This is what I came up with.

I began by clear embossing the flourishes on a purple, card base.  They reminded me of the ancient, Indian tradition of henna, body painting called Mehndi.  So, I continued stamping those flourishes, with Moonlight White, Brilliance, archival, pigment ink, on a smaller piece of bright green cardstock.  I, then, rounded the top corners; stamped the "celebrate life" sentiment, with Green Galore ink, in the top left corner; and adhered it to the bottom of the purple, cardstock base.  The entire, card front was wrapped with a sheer ribbon, much like the veils in Indian cultures, and secured, at the far right side, with white, embroidery string.  In Indian culture, the elephant symbolizes strength, wisdom, good fortune, power, and royalty.  So, I stamped an elephant twice, using Orchid Opulence ink.  I, then, hand cut the first elephant and the ear of the second elephant.  I adhered the ear to the first elephant, as well as, the first elephant over the bright green cardstock and ribbon, using dimensionals.  A few, Hero Arts gemstones, for the elephant's eye and on either side of the sentiment, brought in that gorgeous, Indian shine.

No comments: