Embellish Brads Color Challenge

Saturday, November 21, 2009

I've got another Embellish Magazine color challenge for you this beautiful, Saturday morning.

I have to admit, I was so not excited about this one.  Those colors are bold, and I tend to lean towards more muted, earth tones with little splashes of bold.  However, once I started pulling the colors out, it all started coming together, and I really love the way it turned out.  Here's what I came up with.

Okay, so, that lime green background looks way brighter this morning, than it did, at 11 pm, last night :)!  I had brads in the exact same color, that I thought I'd be using in the layout, but they didn't make an appearance, after all.  I really love the softer tone of the So Saffron ribbon, that I pulled in, under the blue and white polka dot, patterned paper by Paper Studio.  It was adhered, on the back of the layout, with mini glue dots and stapled, on the front of either side, for good measure.  I, then, found embroidery floss in the same, soft, yellow color and hand stitched the "I [heart] Sunday School" title.  Stitching a title is a first for me!  So is writing in cursive on a layout, for that matter!  I just love this part of the design!  I cut the Real Red heart with my George and Basic Shapes Cricut cartridge and added a little hand stitched x, in the same color embroidery floss as the title, in the middle.  I, then, arranged the pictures to make the one cut with my Fiskars circle template the focal point.  It was framed with blue cardstock and red and yellow brads, from K&Company and We R Memory Keepers, respectively.  Finally, I balanced the Real Red heart, in the title, with a Real Red rectangle, punched with Martha Stewart's Doily Lace Edger punch and tucked behind the Polaroid, in the bottom, right corner.  The text, under the far left picture, reads, A fun Christmas present... from Teacher Kim.

Call me crazy, but I decided to put together a little, birthday card from the scraps!

I started by edging the blue and white polka dot, patterned paper, by Paper Studio, with Real Red cardstock, punched, across the far, right edge, with Martha Stewart's Doily Lace Edger punch.  I, then, connected the two with a hand stitched, soft yellow-threaded, straight stitch and balanced the color with a So Saffron ribbon, taken in with red, embroidery floss and adhered to the back with mini clue dots, on the opposite side of the patterned paper.  A few, lime green (the ones that didn't make my layout above) and red brads, by K&Company, ground the design.  The lime green, cardstock banner was hand stamped, in Green Galore ink, with the "party hearty!" sentiment and adhered, to the patterned paper, with dimensionals.  Finally, the prepped design was adhered to the white, cardstock, card base with dimensionals.

Have a colorful weekend!

3 comments:

Julie Martin said...

holy moly, is that hand stitching?? the detailing is so beautiful!

Winter said...

So cute! :)

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

Great way to accent your card and layout with those brads! Thanks for taking on an Embellish challenge!