Embellish Owls Color Challenge

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I'm taking on another of Embellish Magazine's color challenges.  They've all just been right up my alley and totally inspirational.

 
So, I have this friend who's been having a little bit of a challenging time with her baby girl.  This card was made with her in mind.  I thought she needed a silly, little owl to put a smile on her face.

I started with the textured, coral, card base.  Yummy!  I just LOVE that color!  I, then, layered Certainly Celery cardstock, stamped with the "giggle" sentiment, in Close to Cocoa ink, at the bottom of the card face.  Above that, I added a strip of chocolate cardstock, punched, across the bottom edge, with Martha Stewart's Doily Lace Edger punch.  The little owl was made from Certainly Celery cardstock and stamped with two-step, leaf stamps.  I stamped the first step with Certainly Celery ink and the second step with Versamark ink, covered in clear embossing powder.  I, then, hand cut the eyes from a very modern, patterned paper I had in my stash.  I really wish all patterned papers were labeled with who made them, because this one came with several other gorgeous, color-coordinating papers, alpha stickers, and rubons, and I'd love to have more just like them.  The google eyes, in different sizes, add to the extra silliness of this mismatched owl.  I carried on, in the same manner, by cutting the wings in different sizes, as well.  I did, however, balance him out a little, by placing the larger wing on the side of the owl with the smaller eye and vice versa, before adhering him, to the card face, with dimensionals.  I, then, added a little, chocolate, cardstock nose, right in the center, and a gorgeous, sheer, Hobby Lobby purchased, cream ribbon, around the card face and over the chocolate cardstock.  Finally, I rounded the top and bottom, right side corners, of the card base, with Stampin' Up's Corner Rounder punch.  Too cute?!

If this owl isn't enough silly to make my friend smile, how about this?


BJ and Ezekiel were supposed to be cleaning up the leaves, in the yard, this weekend; but when Adina and I went out to check on them, I found Ezekiel playing with his summer, swimming goggles.  I guess he'd found them in the bottom of the toybox we have on our back porch.  He just looked too funny in a winter coat, with rosy cheeks, and blue goggles.  He decided they were so much fun, that he was going to bring them inside and put them on Adina, while she was taking her bath.

She actually loved it and was squealing with glee!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Your owl is too stinkin' cute! Love it!

Kathy said...

I love your owl card and the photos of your kids are so precious! I really enjoyed them. Have a great weekend :)

Winter said...

So cute! I love those eyes! :)

Ellen said...

Ezekiel and Adina are too cute! AND the Owl is AMAZING!

Regina Easter said...

omg this is so darn cute....

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

Love those googly eyes! Thanks so much for playing in the Embellish Magazine challenge!