Cards for St. Jude

Monday, January 11, 2010

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!  Ours could've been so much longer, and I wouldn't have minded one bit :)!

So, last week, when I had all my Valentines stuff out, for making a few, new, card packages for my Etsy shop Lofty Designs, I, also, made a few beauties for Winter.  I only know Winter through her blog, but there's just something about her that I totally feel connected to.  Anyway, for her one-year-blogversary, she's doing a special project called "Cards for St. Jude".

Her goal is to collect 200 Valentine's Day cards for the kids at St. Jude Hospital in Tennessee.  She's collecting gorgeous cards from all over the place, and I jumped at the chance to get involved.
This first card was, actually, a mistake that I made, while I was creating my Aunt Cindy's custom, Lofty Designs listing, last week.  I couldn't just toss out all that gorgeous, time-consuming, hand coloring and stamping in Pixie Pink and Pink Passion inks; so, I cropped it slightly differently and added the same "a little SOMETHING for a little SOMEONE" sentiment, stamped in Jet Black, StazOn, solvent ink, and pink, Sugar Coating glitter by Doodlebug Design.  I, then, punched the bottom edge of the Pixie Pink, card face, with Martha Stewart's Doily Lace Edger punch, and adhered the prepped, white cardstock above it.  To pull in a little more of the black found in the sentiment, I added a strip of black cardstock, punched, across the top edge, with Martha Stewart's Doily Lace Edger punch, on the bottom inside of the card.


For this second card, I started by stamping the hearts and polka dots, in Pretty in Pink ink, on the white, cardstock, card face.  I, then, set it aside for a little prep time.  I found that fun, snowflake cardstock, stamped in Real Red ink and leftover from another project, and thought it would be perfect for this project.  I trimmed it with a red and white, checkered, patterned paper, from my stash, and even further, with Real Red, cardstock strips, punched along the top or bottom edge with Stampin' Up's Scallop punch.  I, then, machine stitched a pink-threaded, zig-zag stitch between all the connections and adhered it to the top portion of the stamped, card face.  I just love that pink, satin-trimmed, sheer ribbon, that I wrapped around the card face, right over the snowflake stamping, and tied in a bow to the right side of the card face.  The "to You from me" sentiment was stamped, in Real Red ink, on white cardstock; punched out with Stampin' Up's 1-3/8" Circle punch; framed with a Pretty in Pink, cardstock, scallop circle; and adhered, to the left side of the card face, over the snowflakes, with dimensionals.  For the finishing touch, I wrapped red, embroidery floss around the ribbon knot; laced it through a pink, Favorite Findings, holiday, heart button; and tied it in a bow.

I think this last card, for Winter's card drive, is my most favorite!  I just love the clean, orderly, straight lines with the gorgeous but messy array of ribbons.  Hmmm... a little like my life, maybe?!  I started by edging that heart-print, patterned paper, by K&Company, with a strip of black cardstock, punched, across the bottom, with Martha Stewart's Doily Lace Edger punch; machine stitching a light-green-threaded, zig-zag stitch between the two; and adhering them to the Certainly Celery, cardstock, card face.  I, then, wrapped a black, grosgrain ribbon around the card face, just above the stitching, and tied it in a knot.  Hot pink and light pink, sheer ribbons; a black and white, checkered ribbon; and a hot pink, satin ribbon were, then, tied in knots along the black ribbon.  I, also, wrapped a white string, laced with the sentiment tag, around the black ribbon and tied it in a bow.  The tag was made by stamping the "love ya bunches" sentiment, in Pink Passion ink, on white cardstock; punching it out with Stampin' Up's Tag punch; framing it with Pink Passion, hand cut cardstock; punching a hole, in the upper portion of it, with Stampin' Up's 1/16" Hand Held punch; and securing it, over the patterned paper, with dimensionals.  A few, well-placed, Paper Studio gemstones give this card the perfect finishing touch.

If you want to get involved in Winter's project, she'll be accepting cards for the whole month of January.  Here are her guidelines...
  • Cards need to be a Valentine theme.
  • Cards can't have anything about "Get Well Soon", "Feel Better", or anything reminding them of being sick (only Valentine cards).
  • Include a message on the inside, but please remember, nothing reminding them of being sick.  You can also sign your name and where you are from.
  • Please make cards that can be used for any gender or age.  (I'm not so sure that I did very well with this guideline :(.)
  • Cards must be able to fit into a 4-1/2" X 5-3/4" envelope.  (She will provide clear envelopes for each card, so, there is no need to send one with your card.)
  • Send a piece of paper with your name, address, email address, and the amount of cards you sent.  (At the end of the month, she will pick random winners for prizes.  The more cards you send, the more times your name goes into her drawing.  The piece of paper will help her with the drawing.)
Send cards to...
Winter Sims
Cards for St. Jude
P.O. Box 754
Warren, TX 77664

Happy card making!

No comments: