Happy Birthday, Jenna!

Monday, January 18, 2010

Yesterday was my niece...

Jenna's 8th birthday.  I ordered her a Ladybug Land...

from Insect Lore.  I, normally, would, totally, recommend it.  Kids get to watch the metamorphosis of a ladybug, from larvae to full-grown ladybug, through the domed habitat with magnifier cap.  The kit comes with food and a water dropper, so kids can feed the ladybugs themselves, and complete instructions.  Ezekiel got one, from a friend, for his fourth birthday, and we had so much fun getting to watch them grow and release them into our gardens.  I thought it would be perfect for Jenna, but I just found out, through inquiry of my own, that it is backordered until February.  I'm, totally, bummed, first of all, that it didn't arrive in time for her birthday, like I was told it would, and second of all, because they didn't even care to tell me.  What is customer service coming to these days?!

Anyway, her birthday card, from us, did arrive on time :).  I made it to give her a little, sneak peek of what would be arriving in her birthday package.

I started this card by layering a torn, across the top, piece of Taken With Teal cardstock over the bottom edge of a piece of Certainly Celery cardstock and trimming it with a strip of Orchid Opulence cardstock, punched, along the bottom edge, with SU's Scallop punch.  I, then, rounded the top corners, with SU's Corner punch, of the Certainly Celery cardstock; machine stitched a red-threaded, zig-zag stitch between the straight connection of the Taken With Teal and Orchid Opulence cardstocks; and adhered them all to the Real Red, cardstock, card face.  The "HAPPY birthday" sentiment was stamped, in Moonlight White, Brilliance, archival, pigment ink, just above the stitching, on the Taken With Teal cardstock.  I, then, stamped the flower image, in Tempting Turquoise ink, on white cardstock; added the stamped scribbles, in Taken With Teal ink, over the flower image; glittered it all with turquoise, Sugar Coating glitter from Doodlebug Design; and hand cut it out.  A scalloped circle, punched, from Orchid Opulence cardstock, with SU's Scallop Circle punch, was layered over the stamped flower's center, along with a large, purple button, from Grandma's Grab Bag by Jesse James and Co.  I, also, laced the button with a sheer, turquoise ribbon and tied it in a bow.  The prepped, flower image was, then, adhered to the center of the Certainly Celery, cardstock surface with dimensionals.  I, then, stamped two leaves, in Certainly Celery ink, on white cardstock; hand cut them out; and tucked them under the right side of the flower.  A stamped, in Jet Black, StazOn, solvent ink, on Real Red cardstock; glittered, in black, Sugar Coating glitter; and hand cut ladybug was, then, adhered, with a dimensional, to one of the stamped leaves.  A little, hand, polka dot detailing, with a uni-ball, Signo, broad, white gel pen, in the lower, scallop trimming, gave this card the perfect finishing touches.

So, Jenna, if you happen to be reading this, happy birthday, gorgeous!  And hang in there for the arrival of your birthday gift.  I hope you love it!

No comments: