Happy Birthday, Kim!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

All I have, today, is a sweet wish, for a very happy birthday, for my good friend Kim.

I met Kim at our old church, and with our love for papercrafting, we soon became good buds.  Although BJ and I no longer attend that old church, Kim and I have remained friends, and I am forever grateful.  She's extremely supportive, super laid back, very forgiving, and all around the best friend to have around.  Not to mention, she's an amazing wife and mother, and creativity oozes from her very pores.  Happy birthday, Kim!  I love you bunches!

Being that Kim is a SU demonstrator, sometimes it's a little intimidating to make her a card; but I did, because that's what I do.  I used Everything But the Kitchen Sink's Sketch Challenge #3 for inspiration.

Here's what I came up with.

I started Kim's card with that beautiful flower, just right of center, on the card face.  I'm HUGE into recycling, so I used the corner of an old, worn-out t-shirt, that had long served its purpose, and cut it into three, different-sized circles... 2-1/2", 2", and 1-1/2".  I, then, used a brown-threaded, zig-zag stitch to machine stitch around their edges, being sure to pull the fabric at the same time.  That's how you get the ruffly look, when you're all done.  I, then, layered them one on top of the other; machine stitched the button in place; and set it aside.  A brown-threaded, straight, machine stitch was used to stitch all the coordinating, patterned papers on the ivory cardstock.  The rustic, coral, patterned paper, across the top, is from Cosmo Cricket's Dutch Girl collection.  The bottom two are leftover from other projects, but I believe, the left one is from K&Company, and the right one is from Frances Meyer.  The ivory cardstock was, then, adhered to the Chocolate Chip, cardstock, card face.  After adding the fabric flower, with mini glue dots, I tucked an ivory tag, cut out with my George and Basic Shapes Cricut cartridge and stamped, in Chocolate Chip ink, with the "Birthday WISHES" sentiment, under the edge of the flower and adhered it with dimensionals.  For the finishing touch, I added a little shine, for the dot over the letter i in Birthday, with a tiny, Paper Studio gemstone.

8 comments:

Virginia L. said...

FABULOUS card! Love Kim's flower and you used it so beautifully!

KAREN said...

Really love your flower-what did you use to cut your circles? And your stitching? Fantastic!! I have a really hard time with stitching. Thanks for the great explanations too on how you made your card.

Kim Ryden said...

Love it! I got it in the mail on my birthday too! You are the best! And all those kind words! You are so sweet! Hope to see you soon!

Kelley Eubanks said...

This is gorgeous! I love the stitching! Thanks so much for playing along with our challenge! :)

Lynnette said...

That flower is AMAZING! I just love it. Great job on the challenge.

Winter said...

So cute! I love the recycled flower! Thanks for playing with us in the challenge! :)

Courtney Baker said...

Great card and way cute! Thanks for playing!

Kathy R said...

Jinny, sorry I missed you last night...I would have told you in person that I love this card! I love all the stitching you do on your projects.