Ezekiel's Messenger Bag From Cargo Pants

Thursday, February 11, 2010

I couldn't help myself!  Plus, Ezekiel was super excited about me, even, attempting to get enough fabric out of a pair of his worn-out, camouflage, cargo pants for his very own messenger bag.  So, I gave it a try and made it, but it took a little creative sewing.  I used the same tutorial, as I did before, found here on Anna's blog; except where I made my strap 48 inches before, this time, I made Ezekiel's just 32 inches.

It would have been nice to make it a couple inches longer, but I just couldn't get enough fabric from his little, old pants, even after piecing the existing one together.  I made the front flap of the bag an inch shorter, too, for the same reason, but I don't think that it made much of a difference.  I couldn't salvage the other pocket for the back, this time, either.  There was a huge tear, just below it, in the knee area.
 
The only other thing that I did differently was that I used bright green thread for all the top stitching to stand out.  I thought that it gave it a real whimsical, kid-like look; and look at all the goodies I saved, this time, to embellish other projects!
  
Oh!  And, again, I didn't spend a penny.  Ezekiel picked the interior fabric, from my remnant bins, and I had everything else on hand.  Even with all the adjustments and all, he still loves it!

He, immediately, filled it with a Pez container, some of his miniature dinosaurs, and a few of his Valentine books.
Speaking of Valentine books, I thought that it might be fun to share, with you, some of the great ones we have.  Please be assured that this is not, by any means, an exhaustive list, but it's a good start.
  1. Best Valentine Book: ABC Adventures by Troll Associates
  2. Valentine Foxes by Clyde Watson (This one is Ezekiel's favorite!)
  3. How Spider Saved Valentine's Day by Robert Kraus
  4. Little Mouse's Big Valentine by Thacher Hurd
  5. The Biggest Valentine Ever by Steven Kroll
  6. The Runaway Valentines by Lisa Trumbauer
  7. The Valentine Bears by Eve Bunting
  8. I Love You So Much by Carl Norac
  9. Don't Forge I Love You by Miriam Moss
  10. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (Every mom with a little boy needs this book.)
  11. Anything for You by John Wallace
  12. Mama, Do You Love Me? by Barbara M. Joosse
  13. How Many Kisses Do You Want Tonight? by Varsha Bajaj
  14. I Love You, Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt
  15. On Mother's Lap by Ann Herbert Scott
  16. Butterfly Kisses by Bo and Brooke Carlisle
  17. You're All My Favorites by Sam McBratney
  18. My Little Girl by Tim McGraw and Tom Douglas (Adina got this one for Christmas.  It's so sweet!)
  19. I Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti-Shustak
The last twelve are all about love, but isn't that what Valentine's Day is all about anyway?!

I have one, fun, Valentine's Day project that I want to share, with you, tomorrow, before the weekend, but I'll save the rest for after they are gifted.

No comments: