My Stampin' Up Workshop

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

So, Saturday, Kim, a few of my friends, and my mil came over to make these, fun, Valentine cards.

This first card was made by adhering a strip of textured, Pretty in Pink cardstock across the top portion of a Real Red, cardstock, card base.  We, then, stamped the "LOVE" heart, in Real Red ink, on Very Vanilla cardstock; punched it out with SU's new, Small Heart punch; and adhered it on the Pretty in Pink strip with a bunch more hearts, punched, from their new, Sending Love Specialty Designer Series Paper, with the Heart to Heart punch, which is sooo on my list of wants, right now.  The last thing we did was stamp the "happy valentine's day" sentiment, below the Pretty in Pink strip and to the right side of the card face, in Basic Black ink.  Super easy, but ever so cute!
This second card boasts all my favorite colors, right now.  We started by adhering a strip of Pretty in Pink cardstock to the upper portion of the Basic Grey, cardstock, card base.  We, then, added a small piece of Basic Grey cardstock, punched, down the left side, with the new, Sale-A-Bration punch, over the strip, just left of center.  The dandelion image was colored with Pretty in Pink and Certainly Celery ink before being stamped on Whisper White cardstock.  The "wishing you a happy heart" sentiment was colored in Certainly Celery ink; stamped on Whisper White cardstock; embellished with a Certainly Celery, grosgrain, ribbon loop; and adhered to the right side of the stamped, flower image with dimensionals.  The entire stamped base was, then, framed with Certainly Celery cardstock and adhered to the card face, over the punched Basic Grey and strip of Pretty in Pink cardstock, just right of center.

We had a really nice time; and although no one seemed to be too hungry, I made lots of fun, Valentine snacks, including egg salad sandwiches cut out in heart shapes, Chex Mix, grapes, carrots and Ranch dip, and my Mom's Chocolate Sheet Cake dressed up with multicolored candy hearts.

Oh!  And check out these cute flowers and vases that I made for everyone to take home.




I got the idea for them in my February 2010 issue of Parents magazine.  They're made from wooden spools, ribbon, Paper Studio buttons, floral wire, and cardstock (specifically, Almost Amethyst, Certainly Celery, Tempting Turquoise, and Rose Red).  Aside from the cardstock, all supplies came from Hobby Lobby.  The 1-1/4" petals were cut with my George and Basic Shapes Cricut cartridge heart key and adhered to 1" circles cut from the same cartridge. I, then, paper pierced the holes, using my chosen button as a guide; threaded the floral wire through; and wound the free end around the wire stem.  Because they turned out just so cute, I had to make one for Adina, too.
 
Hers used the same Hobby Lobby supplies and Certainly Celery, Pumpkin Pie, and Apricot Appeal cardstock.  When I set it on her dresser, I panicked a little.  My Dad just built her this gorgeous dresser and mirror, and I realized that the ends of the wires, poking through the base of the spool, might just scratch it up.  So, I took all the flowers and spool vases back up to my loft; used my George and Basic Shapes Cricut cartridge to cut 1-1/4" circles from matching cardstock; and adhered them to the spool bottoms with Tombo, Mono, Multi, liquid glue.  It did the trick, and they're, completely, unnoticeable.  So fun!

I cannot wait to show you all the FREE goodies I got!  Thanks to all the ladies that helped make my workshop such a success, including the ladies from scrapbook club :)!  

My in-laws stayed, after the workshop was over, just to hang out.  Unfortunately, that's when everything hit the fan!  I, suddenly, got an enormous migraine headache, but was able to fight it off, with three Ibuprofen, just in time for our refrigerator to go kaput!  It, completely, died on us, despite our efforts to get it going again.  So, we all made an impromptu trip to Lowe's to buy a new refrigerator, in hopes of saving the two weeks worth of groceries, that we had just purchased.  We, then, spent the rest of the afternoon switching the old with the new and finished up the evening with Pizza Hut delivery and leftover, Chocolate Sheet Cake.

It was a crazy day!  Oh!  But check out the Valentine's Day "cake" my mil made us.
It has, now, been disassembled and half eaten, but didn't it look so cute to begin with?!  Thanks, Ellen!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Love the flower vases! Too cute!! I like the candy cake too! :D I sure wish we had a Hobby Lobby around here!

Jenny said...

Ya not having Hobby Lobby does STINK! LOL! Thanks for correcting the link... great tut on pictures! :) But your right I love Jennifers blog anyway LOL Thanks again!