A Slice of Life

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I hope that you all are having a fabulous day!  It is, absolutely, gorgeous here... so peaceful, still, quiet, and warm.  My daffodils are in full bloom, and my hyacinths are filling the air with the most fragrant aroma.  Aaah, springtime!

Yesterday, we spent the day, in Topeka, at BJ's grandmother's funeral.  Grammy passed away, in her sleep, early last Saturday morning, at almost 83-years-young.  The whole day was just so nice to be with family, sharing memories, stories, videos, and pictures, both old and new.  I wanted to share a few of the new ones with you all, beginning with this one of BJ with his cousins, Dave and John.
Here's one of BJ's cousin, Beth, with her son, Henry...
another of Beth's daughter, Charlotte, with Ezekiel...
and one of Beth's kiddos and mine.
Grammy had two other great-grandchildren who, unfortunately, couldn't be there.  Then, there's one of all us Newlins (from right to left, across the top row and then the bottom... my handsome hubby BJ, my brother-in-law Philip, my brother-in-law Peter, my father-in-law Ron, Ezekiel, me, my sister-in-law Hannah, our sister-in-law Courtney (Peter's wife), Adina, and my mother-in-law Ellen)...
and a sweet one of Adina, just because.
So, I used Melissa's Slice of Life Photo Challenge as inspiration for a sympathy card for my mother-in-law, who was one of Grammy's daughters, and father-in-law.
Here's what I came up with.
I started their card by machine stitching a blue-threaded, straight stitch around the edges of that fun, blue, polka dot, patterned paper and adhering it to the Regal Rose, cardstock, card face.  I, then, stamped the "Praying for friends to comfort you, faith to uphold you, and loving memories to heal your heart." sentiment, in Bashful Blue ink, on a white, cardstock tag, which had been cut with my George and Basic Shapes, Cricut cartridge and distressed with Chamomile and Chai inks.  It was, then, adhered just inside the stitched frame.  I, then, stamped the rose bundles, in Regal Rose, Green Galore, and Bashful Blue inks, on a strip of white cardstock; punched both sides of it with Martha Stewart's Doily Lace Edger punch; and adhered it, vertically, down the card face and, slightly, overlapping the left side of the sentiment tag.  A thin strip of Regal Rose cardstock was punched, across the top edge, with SU's Sale-A-Bration punch and adhered, horizontally, over all layers.
Finally, I wrapped a sheer, pink ribbon around the card face; tied it in a dressy bow, just to the left of the sentiment tag; and dressed it up with a couple, green, pearlized pins.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Thoughts & Prayers & Tags & More (SU) Paper: Regal Rose (SU); white (Georgia Pacific); patterned paper (American Crafts) Ink: Regal Rose, Bashful Blue, & Green Galore (SU); Chamomile & Chai (PTI) Other: Doily Lace Edger punch (Martha Stewart); Cricut; blue thread & sewing machine; ribbon (Hobby Lobby); pearlized pins

5 comments:

House of Smith's said...

I LOVE the card! So cute and creative!
Wow!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
It's so fun to see who reads!

And GO FOR IT! Steal the knob idea! It's SO great to have with kiddo's! They can actually HANG their towel up, on their own! No more excuses! :)
Shelley

Jenny said...

Lovely card. So sorry for your families loss :( Hugs

JeanFB said...

Beautifully inspired card! So sorry for your loss - I'm glad to see that so many of you got to make some sweet memories in her honor.

Melissa said...

Soooo very lovely...look at that sweet, irresistible bow! Love everything about this. Thank you so much for sharing it with me.
Melis

Nancy said...

You've captured Leslie's watercolors in the floral stamped border. It's very refreshing.

I hope the memories you have of your Grammy bring you comfort.