Embellish's Stitching Color Challenge

Thursday, April 8, 2010

As the title of this post proclaims, I've got Embellish's Stitching Color Challenge, for you, today.
Here's what I came up with.
I started this card by layering the cloud, patterned paper over the middle and overhanging the sides of a piece of aqua cardstock, which had been punched, across the top and bottom with SU's Sale-A-Bration punch.  I, then, went to work machine stitching a pink-threaded, decorative slip-stitch, across the top and bottom edges of the patterned paper, before adhering both pieces to the kraft, cardstock, card base.  The "HOPE YOUR DAY IS Fabulous" sentiment was clear embossed, in the lower right corner of the aqua cardstock, just above the punched edge and flanked with a row of gemstones.  I, then, wrapped a pink, sheer ribbon around the card face; tied it in a bow; trimmed it with a gorgeous strip of lace, which, also, pulled the kraft color front and center; and dressed it up with a frayed rosette, embellished with an aqua stone.
There are lots of tutorials out there for frayed or fabric rosettes, but I couldn't find one done the way I did this one to show you.  So, here's my attempt to explain it.  For this particular rosette, I used a strip of fabric, approximately 10" x 2"; twisted it together; and wound it around, in a spiral fashion, beginning at the center and ending along the outside edge.  As I went, I, also, hot-glued it to a small piece of felt, which was, later, cut away so as not to be seen but rather, simply, to continue to keep this little beauty looking fabulous for years to come.  They look so beautiful just like that, but embellish with whatever treasures you can find.

I made this card for Karli...

another one of Jennifer's Cards for Kids kiddos.  Karli is ten-years-old, and according to Jennifer's blog, she started complaining about her shoulder hurting, which led to the discovery of a mass.  On December 15, 2009, a biopsy confirmed Osteosarcoma... cancer in her upper arm bone.  She has since started chemo and will have surgery.

Okay... So, I got this questionnaire thing from a friend, and I thought that it might be fun to share it, right here on my blog, just as a way for you all to get to know me a little better.  I'd, also, love for you all to do the same on your blogs.  If you do, and I hope you do, because I think that it helps us all remember that there are real people behind these computer screens, leave me a link in the comments section of this post.  Thanks, and enjoy!
  1. Do you like Blue cheese dressing?  No.
  2. Have you ever smoked cigarettes?  No.
  3. Do you own a gun?  Do water guns count?
  4. What flavor Kool Aid was your favorite?  Cherry.
  5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments?  Sometimes.
  6. What do you think of hot dogs?  Ick!
  7. Favorite Christmas movie?  "Little Women".
  8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning?  Soy-milk.
  9. Can you do push ups?  Yes.
  10. What's your favorite piece of jewelry?  My wedding ring.
  11. Favorite hobby?  Papercrafting.  Then, definitely, cooking.
  12. Do you have A.D.D.?  Maybe.
  13. Do you wear glasses?  Yes.
  14. Middle name?  Lynn.
  15. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment.  Was that my ear that just popped?  What are the dogs whining about now?  Oh, I hope Adina gets a good nap this afternoon, so we don't have a repeat, no-sleep afternoon and super awful evening, like yesterday.
  16. Name 2 or 3 drinks you regularly drink.  Soy-milk, water, and I guess, coffee.
  17. Current worry?  Will Ezekiel ever outgrow this phase?
  18. Current hate right now?  Stampin' Up's new color families!
  19. Favorite place to be?  In the Colorado Rockies.
  20. How do you bring in the New Year?  Watching the ball drop, in Times Square, on television, with my hubby.
  21. Where would you like to go?  Israel.
  22. Do you own slippers?  I wish.
  23. What color shirt are you wearing?  I'm tempted to just say a color, but I'll be honest and tell you all, that I'm still in my pink pjs.  Hey!  I'm still feeling crummy, ya know?!
  24. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets?  Never have.
  25. Can you whistle?  Yes.
  26. Where are you now?  Home.
  27. Would you be a pirate?  Why not?
  28. What songs do you sing in the shower?  For some reason, "Rockin' Robin" is a fav.
  29. Favorite Girl's Name?  Adina
  30. What's in your pocket right now?  Hey!  My pjs, actually, have a pocket!  Adina's bow.
  31. Something that made you laugh?  Reminiscing over an old April Fool's joke, that I played.
  32. What vehicle do you drive?  Ford Taurus.
  33. Worst injury you've ever had?  Probably, when I broke my elbow in the first grade.
  34. Do you love where you live?  Uh... no.  I love my home and my family, but I don't feel like KC is the end of the road for us.
  35. How many TVs do you have?  One.
{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Signature Greetings (PTI) Paper: kraft (Best Occasions); aqua (?); patterned (SU) Ink: VersaMark Other: clear embossing power; pink thread & sewing machine; lace & gemstones (Paper Studio); 2010 Sale-A-Bration punch (SU); ribbon (Hobby Lobby); fabric; aqua stone (Jesse James & Co.)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Nice card... love it!! Liked reading your answers... funny :)

Ellen said...

Loved the questionnaire and the card both. Your cloth roses are so beautiful.

Karen B. said...

Beautiful card, and lovely flower. Enjoyed reading about you, I had done something similar on my blog and thoroughly enjoyed really thinking about me as an individual!

Mariana Grigsby said...

Beautiful card, Jinny. The flower, and lace look fantastic! Thanks for participating in the Embellish Color Challenge!