TSTR Comforts of Home Challenge

Friday, April 30, 2010

I've got The Shabby Tea Room's Comforts of Home Challenge, to create a card or project that shows what my comforts of home are, for you all, today.  Oh!  And check out this gorgeous photo Debbie posted for inspiration.
Well, I've, always, been a HUGE lover of linens.  There's just something super comforting, to me, about lacy sheets, worn quilts, cuddly blankets, and a closet full of mixed linens.  I think that my favorite linens have got to be a set of cross-stitched pillow cases, that my great Auntie Myrt made, for BJ and I, for our wedding.  I, absolutely, treasure them; especially, because she is no longer with us.  I, also, have a gorgeous quilt that my Mom had made, just for me, for one of my birthdays, when I was young.  She, even, took me to the quilt shop to pick out all my own fabrics.  I still, truly, love it!  It became my inspiration for Adina's room. 

Anyway, I, totally, loved how my quilted card turned out for TSTR Hip to Be Square Challenge.  So, I jumped on board, with more quilty goodness, in honor of my own personal comfort of home, this week.  Here's what I came up with.
I started this card by machine stitching, with a pink-threaded, zig-zag stitch, across the lacy, patterned paper.

I, then, layered a strip of the heart, patterned paper across the top of it and machine stitched a pink-threaded, straight stitch around its edges, before adhering them to the Bordering Blue, cardstock, card face.  I'm, really, going to miss this color, when Stampin' Up completes their color renovation.  Sigh.  A trim of lace was, then, added between the two.  This part of the card reminds me of the top of a lacy-edged sheet being folded down over a quilted blanket on a made bed.  So pretty!  I, then, wrapped a Dark Chocolate, grosgrain ribbon, around the card face, right over the lace; tied it in a bow; and embellished it with a pink button, laced with white string.  Finally, I silver embossed the "For You" sentiment on a piece of Pretty in Pink cardstock; adhered it in the lower, right corner of the card face; framed it with Styled Silver hardware; and embellished it with a couple of pearls.
I just love the elegance of this card!  Oh!  And check out this week's prize!
I've had my eyes on these gorgeous papers for waaaaay too long!  They, really, need to make their way into my stash :).

Thanks, again, for stopping by!  I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!  The boys are headed to a big What If the Church? workday, tomorrow.  So, Adina and I will be on our own, and we've got some shopping to do :).

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Vintage Labels (SU) Paper: Bordering Blue & Pretty in Pink (SU); pink, heart patterned (Paper Studio); lacy patterned (?) Ink: VersaMark Other: silver embossing powder; Hodgepodge Hardware (SU); lace, pink button, & pearls (Paper Studio); string; pink thread & sewing machine; Dark Chocolate, grosgrain ribbon (PTI)

3 comments:

Debbie said...

So pretty, Jinny! Thanks for sharing your comforts of home with us in the Tea Room this week! I share your passion for old, vintage linens too - soooo scrumptious!! So happy to have you as a 'regular' with us each week! See you again on Monday for our next challenge :)

Audrey Pettit said...

What a beautiful card! I love the pink and brown color scheme, and your quilted stitching is fabulous. Fabulous interpretation of the challenge over at the Shabby Tea Room. thanks for playing along with us.

Karen B. said...

Lovely combination of patterns and images!