TSTR Hip to Be Square Challenge

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Well, we got our vegetable garden all planted, in the beautiful weather, yesterday.  Yea!   I cannot wait to have fresh veggies, from our garden, filling our dinner table.  I, also, planted a gorgeous, Peppermint Hydrangea.
(Photograph courtesy of www.foreverhydrangea.com.)
Although, I am planning on helping it turn blue with a little change in the soil pH.  I couldn't pass up this pretty, Burning Heart plant, either.
(Photograph courtesy of www.naturehills.com.)
I just love the texture of its leaves, and because I'm working on completing my red, white, and blue garden, both of these plants should be just perfect!

As promised, I've got The Shabby Tea Room's Hip to Be Square Challenge to create a card or project using squares and lots of them but not necessarily using the colors in the inspiration photo, for you, today.
Here's what I came up with.

I started by piecing together, side by side, all those 1" x 1" squares of gorgeous, patterned papers.  I, then, machine stitched a white-threaded, straight stitch, through all of them, at an angle, before adhering it to the white cardstock, card face.  Sooo perfectly quilty :)!  The "so glad we're friends" sentiment was clear embossed on a circular piece of Brilliant Blue cardstock and tucked behind the prepped chipboard piece, which was painted with acrylic paint and glammed up with a little, white glitter.  A sheer, white ribbon was wrapped around the card face and tied off through the holes, on either side, of the chipboard piece.  I, then, pushed a blue, rhinestone brad through the holes, to finish them off, and embellished, on either side, with a few pearls.
I was tempted to push on with more to the design, but then, reason kicked in.  Why cover up all that time-consuming, quilty goodness?!  Soooo in love, with this card, right now!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Best Yet (SU) Paper: Brilliant Blue (SU); white (Georgia Pacific); blue & white, polka dot and checkered patterned (Paper Studio); black, polka dot patterned (sei); black, with grey design, patterned (K&Company) Ink: VersaMark Other: chipboard (Best Occasions); white glitter (K&Company); Ivory White, acrylic paint (FolkArt); clear embossing powder; Fiskars circle template; ribbon (Hobby Lobby); pearls (Paper Studio); blue, Circle Ice brads (SU); white thread & sewing machine

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh my ... simply {adorable}!!! I love everything about your design and all that stitching is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for joining us again this week in the Tea Room. I hope to see you again tomorrow for our next challenge too :)

Nicole said...

So pretty. Love the quilted effect. Thanks for playing along with us at The Shabby Tea Room! :)

Audrey Pettit said...

Oh, what great colors! Love your quilted background. This is so very pretty. Thanks for playing along with us this week in the Tea Room.