Wee Memories' Grab Your Umbrella Challenge

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I hope you're all having a wonderful day!  Mine has been super challenging, from a sleepless night to a homeschooling nightmare to a batch of cookies that all fell flat.  Yikes!  I think that I need to crawl back in bed and just start this whole day over again.  Don't I wish it were that easy?!

I do have a card, for you, today, though.  One thing has turned out as planned :).  It's for Wee Memories' first ever Grab Your Umbrella Challenge to make a card, scrapbook layout, or altered item using an April showers theme, as depicted in this inspiration board.
 Here's what I came up with.
I started this card by first creating the cloud scene found behind the lacy umbrella.  I used SU's Scallop Circle punch to punch the cloud shape from vellum, which I chose because it tends to hold together for this type of technique better than regular cardstock; cut it in half; pushed and held it against a piece of white cardstock; and used a foam, makeup sponge to, gently, brush Bashful Blue ink across the top edge of the vellum, beginning on the cloud shape and pushing up and away from it.
I just love the effect of this technique!  I'm sure that it would work much better with distress inks, but in a pinch, regular inks will do.  I, then, trimmed it with a strip of Barely Banana cardstock, punched, across its lower edge, with SU's Sale-Bration punch and clear embossed with the "take care of yourself" sentiment, and machine stitched a light-blue-threaded, zig-zag stitch between the two, before adhering them to the Bashful Blue, cardstock, card face.  The lacy umbrella was created by simply cutting the form I wanted from white cardstock and wrapping lace around it.  All that gorgeous lace was secured with mini glue dots.  I, then, hand cut the Barely Banana, cardstock handle; adhered it just below; and dressed it up with a flower die-cut, which I, also, glittered.  A few, random Rain Dots gave this card the perfect finishing touch.
Here's to one thing that went right, today, and many more before the sun goes down :)!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Sweet Little Sentiments (SU) Paper: Bashful Blue & Barely Banana (SU); white (Georgia Pacific) Ink: Bashful Blue (SU) Other: light blue thread & sewing machine; clear embossing powder; Rain Dots (Cloud 9 Design); 2010 Sale-A-Bration punch (SU); lace; die-cut (K&Company); yellow, Sugar Coating glitter (Doodlebug Design)

6 comments:

Kim Ryden said...

I love how you made the clouds! Super cute! And the clear bubbles are a nice touch too!

Jenny said...

Well I hope your day gets better. You should be so ecstatic about your card, its so pretty! I love everything about it, the umbrella, the background, the stitching, the flower, the raindrops! Its so pretty!! :D thanks for playing along!!!

Laural-Lee said...

Great job on the sponged clouds and what a pretty umbrella. Love the rain dots.

Lynnette said...

I hate those days where you just feel like you need to go back to bed and start over... Especially when going back to bed isn't an option. Your card is absolutely lovely. I just love the clouds! And the lace umbrella, so great!

Dawn said...

OMG!!! I love this card! The "raindrops" and little addition of the flower are perfect finishing touches.

Shauna said...

WOW. This is fabulous! That lace umbrella .. those raindrops.. speechless...