Cards for Kids Completion

Monday, May 24, 2010

So, today, I thought that I'd show you all this cute, little card, that I, actually, made and sent awhile back.
I started this card by stamping the critters, in Chocolate Chip and Pumpkin Pie inks, on squares of white cardstock.  I, then, distressed their edges, as well as the edges of the white, cardstock, card base, with Chamomile and Chai inks.  After adhering the squares to a piece of Brilliant Blue cardstock, I stamped the "i {love} you, friend." sentiment, in Brilliant Blue ink, near the center of its base.  I, then, used my white gel pen to create a frame around the stamped squares, beginning and ending at the sentiment.  Before adhering it to the card face, I layered a strip of orange, polka dot, patterned paper, which had been trimmed, down either side, with strips of punched, Pumpkin Pie cardstock, right down the center.  I, also, wrapped a length of white string, vertically, around the card face, over the patterned paper.  I, then, added a few, hand cut, Garden Green leaves.

I gave them their vein lines by using a rotary scoring blade and the indention of my Fiskars cutting board.  Jana Eubanks has a really great tutorial, for creating these jungle leaves, here.  I'm feeling the need to scrap some zoo pictures :).  Finally, I embellished with a few, Pumpkin Pie buttons, laced with white string.

This card is for Gavin.

Gavin is the last kiddo on Jennifer's Cards for Kids list.  According to Jennifer's blog, Gavin is a four-year-old boy battling Tay-Sachs Disease, an extremely rare genetic disorder that causes relentless deterioration of mental and physical abilities.  There is, currently, no known cure for this disease nor preventive treatment to slow down or stop the brain from regressing.  The doctors are at a dead-end, but the family continues to fight and hope for a miracle.  Gavin has a one-year-old sister, Audrey Bella, who has been diagnosed with the Tay-Sachs gene but, fortunately, does not have the disease.

Have a wonderful week, everyone!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Fox & Friends & Picture This (SU) Paper: Brilliant Blue, Pumpkin Pie, Garden Green, & polka dot patterned (SU); white (Georgia Pacific) Ink: Brilliant Blue, Pumpkin Pie, & Chocolate Chip (SU); Chamomile & Chai (PTI) Other: white gel pen, Pumpkin Pie buttons, 2010 Sale-A-Bration punch, & rotary scoring blade (SU); white string

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Too cute, love the card and how sweet to do this!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)