Double the Challenges

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

This week, I've combined Wee Memories' Writing Challenge, to make a card, scrapbook page, or altered item, using the theme writing and this photograph as inspiration...
with Off the Wall Craftiness' Challenge #5, to create a project, using the colors red and brown and this photograph as inspiration.
Here's what I came up with.
I began this layout by layering all the fun patterned papers on the Chocolate Chip, cardstock page.  I, then, machine stitched a brown-threaded, zig-zag stitch along the top and bottom edges of the upper, brown, polka dot, patterned paper and along the bottom edge of the lower, brown, polka dot, patterned paper.  Its upper edge was dressed up with a strip of Real Red cardstock, punched along its bottom edge.  After adhering the pictures, I tucked a Real Red, cardstock, journal box, which reads, I'm so lucky to have your for my daughter.  When I first found out that you were on the way, I wondered how I could possibly love another child, as much as I loved your brother; but when I held you in my arms, I couldn't imagine having thought it at all, under the far right photograph.  The journal box was framed with a piece of kraft cardstock and clear embossed with "welcome, adorable, happiness, cherish, wonderful" text.

I, then, wrapped a sheer, ivory ribbon around the layout; laced it with a die-cut label, on which is written "Do I love thee?  Let me count the ways."; and tied it in a bow, just to the left of the die-cut.  Other lengths of ribbon were hand stitched and gathered to make a few flowers.  The larger one was embellished with pearlized and red buttons, and the smaller ones were made from folding the ribbon in half before stitching, gathering, and embellishing with pearls.

Finally, I added a die-cut, "love" title and "Little Darling" word tab.

While I had all these fun goodies out on my table, I decided to make a card for my hubby, just because it seems that I'm always making cards for everybody else.  Plus, it's a good thing to tell him that I love him every once in a while :)... Don't ya think?!
I started his card by layering a piece of kraft cardstock on the Chocolate Chip, cardstock, card base and painting away, with acrylic paint, in no particular pattern or order.  I, then, machine stitched a brown-threaded, straight stitch around the edges of the kraft cardstock; distressed the card face edges with Chamomile and Chocolate Chip inks; and stamped the "I Love You SO MUCH" sentiment, in Chocolate Chip ink, in the bottom right corner, inside the stitching lines.  A Dark Chocolate ribbon was tied, around the card face, above the sentiment; laced with a layered tag; and tied in a bow, just to the left of the card center.  Above it, I wrapped a length of twine, twice, around the card face; laced it with another tag, as well as a Pure Poppy button; and tied it in a knot, just right of center.

I'd love to hear what you all think, and please, come back, tomorrow, for my take on this week's Sketchy Thursdays sketch.
 
{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Warm Words (SU) Paper: Chocolate Chip & Real Red (SU); kraft (Best Occasions); red, floral patterned (Paper Studio); brown, diamond patterned (My Mind's Eye Where the Heart Is); brown, polka dot patterned (?) Ink: Basic Black (SU) Other: clear embossing powder; brown thread & sewing machine; dimensionals; ribbon (Hobby Lobby); pearls (Paper Studio); die-cut, word tab and "writing" label (Leaving Prints); alpha die-cuts (Basic Grey); buttons (Jesse James & Co. Grandma's Grab Bag); Doily Lace Edger punch (Martha Stewart)
{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Signature Greetings (PTI) Paper: Chocolate Chip (SU); kraft (Best Occasions) Ink: Chocolate Chip (SU); Chamomile (PTI) Other: Ivory White, acrylic paint (FolkArt); die-cut tags (Leaving Prints); Dark Chocolate ribbon & Pure Poppy button (PTI); twine; brown thread & sewing machine; dimensionals

5 comments:

artfuldelight said...

Those turned out great. I love the "paint away" technique, it looks awesome. :-)

Kim Ryden said...

Using the garage sale goodies, I see! I love both of these project but I really love your card! It's so cute! I never paint because I'm too impatient...but I might have to get some!

Karen B. said...

These are so perfect and the scrapbook page seems so special. The colors are perfect and I so much like the details on each. Really really love the bold look of the acrylic paint on your card!

Kim Wilson said...

Great entries Jinny! Thank you so much for playing :) Good luck!!!!

Jenny said...

Wow this is GORGEOUS!!! Im soooo loving this card!! BEAUTIFUL!! Thanks for playing!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)