June Guest Design Team Challenge

Thursday, May 13, 2010

I'm still just having so much fun with Sketchy Thursdays' sketches!  I've got their June Guest Design Team Challenge, for you all, today.
Here's what I came up with.
I started this page by painting a few of the edges of the notebook, patterned paper with acrylic paint.  I, then, layered, in the bottom, right corner, the trimmed, lace, Apples Dashing cardstock, as well as the Playful Typing Test and brown and ivory, polka dot, patterned papers.  The polka dot, patterned paper had been punched, across its bottom edge, with Stampin' Up's Spiral punch.  A light-green-threaded, straight stitch was machine stitched across the top and bottom of the Playful Typing Test paper, running over onto the notebook paper; and a light-green-threaded, zig-zag stitch was stitched from the bottom of the layout up to the third, from the left, fabric flower.  I, then, used Terrifically Tacky Tape to adhere a light green ribbon, horizontally, below the photographs and embellished its end with another fabric flower.  Finally, I machine stitched another green-threaded, zig-zag stitch from the bottom of the layout up to the middle, fabric flower, running over the ribbon, before adding the varsity, letter stickers, "SCHOOL DAYS" title.
I used the same technique as I used here to create the two and three-layered, fabric flowers, with red-threaded, stitched edges, and a 3/4" button kit...
to cover buttons with School Days, patterned paper, for their centers.  I didn't stop there, though.  I made a couple more layered, fabric flowers, with covered button centers, to help create an entire layout.

This side of the layout boasts the same acrylic painting, lace cardstock, varsity letter stickers, stitching, ribbon, and patterned papers, including the addition of a larger piece of the same, School Days, patterned paper found covering the fabric flowers' buttons, as the other side.  I, also, used a section of the notebook, patterned paper to journal, I am so proud of you when you work diligently and do your very best.  You are so smart and have so many things to teach others.

Well, I'm off to get a bathroom cleaned.  Oh!  And what a difference a day makes!  Adina is back to her old, ornery self, now that the amoxicillin has kicked in, and Ezekiel... Well, things haven't changed, but BJ and I just met with the A Beka Book representative, for our area, and are feeling really good about using their video streaming program, for Ezekiel, next school year.  I'm hoping that it gives me a little more leeway to say, "Well, what did your teacher tell you?" and "Look!  All those kids are doing the work, too."  Plus, it should give me a little more time to just be Mommy.  We're keeping our fingers crossed and staying hopeful for a wonderful, second-grade, school year and an attitude change for our almost seven-year-old, who thinks he's sixteen.

{Supplies & Tools}
Paper: School Days patterned (Daisy D's); Playful Typing Test patterned & Apples Dashing, lace cardstock (KI Memories); ivory & brown, polka dot patterned (?); notebook patterned (SU) Ink: Basic Black (SU) Other: Paradise, acrylic paint (Delta Creative); varsity letter stickers (Martha Stewart); light green & red thread & sewing machine; red, knit fabric; 3/4" cover buttons & tool (Dritz); Spiral punch (SU); ribbon

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Gorgeous layouts Jinny! Really love the apple cut outs.

Karen B. said...

Lovely lovely. I really appreciate when you explain HOW you do things, it make ME appreciate the work that you've put into your beautiful creations.

Diana Fisher said...

Cute page, and I love the covered buttons!

Laurajean said...

gorgeous layout, love that you made this a 2pager and love that apple lace paper :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwww! This is AWESOME!! I loveeeeeeeeeee those flowers and the paint!!! Thanks soooooooooooooooooooo much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Heidi said...

SERIOUSLY???!!!!! This is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the flower tutorial. I am SOOOOO going to do that. And I'm heading to JoAnns RIGHT NOW to get me some of those button forms to cover. AWESOME!!! I love that you made this into a 2 pager.