PDCC43 & 2S4Y Sketch 59

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hey, all!  Guess what I got in the mail yesterday?!  Okay, so I'll just tell you, because you'll never guess.  I got this letter from my Grandpa with a dirty, old, spiral notebook...
but it's not just any dirty, old, spiral notebook!  It's full of recipes, mostly written in my Great Auntie Myrt's handwriting!
Guys, I cannot tell you how happy this little, well-loved notebook made me!  My Auntie Myrt is so very special to me and was an amazing cook!  Plus, she's the one that taught me how to make apple pie and cinnamon rolls, and they're the BEST!  She went to be with Jesus, over nine years ago, now, but her memory lives on and on and on.  Matter of fact, Adina is named after her.  Adina was one of my great aunt's middle names.  The other was Helga.  I think we chose wisely :).  Anyway, I just had to show you, because as soon as I got it, I went to work making my Grandpa a thank you card, inspired by The Play Date Cafe's Challenge 43.
I, also, used 2 Sketches 4 You's Sketch 59 to get me going.
Here's what I came up with.
I started this card by adhering the patterned, paper rectangles, vertically, side by side, near the bottom of the cloud, patterned paper and machine stitching white-threaded, zig-zag stitches between the connections.  I, also, ran a white-threaded, straight stitch along the bottom edge, before white embossing the "THANK you" sentiment, above the patterned, paper, rectangle row, in the center of the cloud, patterned paper.
The prepped piece was, then, adhered to the Certainly Celery, cardstock, card face and embellished with a Certainly Celery ribbon, wrapped around the card face, just above the patterned, paper rectangles, and tied in a knot, just left of center, as well as a vertical row, of blue brads, in the bottom  right corner of the card face.
Have a great day, everyone!  I'm off to get something together for dinner.  Maybe I'll just have to tap into my new, little, recipe book for inspiration :).

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Giga Guide Lines (PTI) Paper: Certainly Celery & star patterned (SU); cloud & letter patterned (Paper Studio); green damask (Pink Paislee) Ink: VersaMark Other: white embossing powder; white thread & sewing machine; blue brads (We R Memory Keepers); Certainly Celery ribbon (SU)

14 comments:

Ellen said...

What a precious, precious gift :)

Kara said...

beautiful..love the stitching and the paper in the middle looks awesome

Basement Stamper said...

gorgeous card, I love the sewing and the twill-great card with these colors!

Stephanie Kraft said...

Lovely creation, Jinny! Thanks for playing with the Play Date Cafe! Enjoy your wonderful gift.. so wonderful that you got your Great Aunt's recipes, but even more special that they are in her handwriting.. definitely a family treasure!!

Lisa Somerville said...

What a great spiral notebook full of treasured recipes! Great use of PP on your card, I'm sure your grandfather will love it! Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OH MY--this card is perfect for the PDCC! I love the sketch and that papers--that ribbon is LUSH! LOVE it! I love the notebook too--I wish I knew how to cook:) Thanks for joining in the fun and playing along with us at the PDCC:)

Laura Davis said...

Oh WOW! Stunning work!
Thanks for playing at 2S4Y!
Laura

Sylvia said...

What a great gift, and what a lovely card, Jinny!

Suzanne C said...

Lovely card! I would be photocopying those pages and using it as my pattern paper. Fabulous find from your aunt. Thanks for playing along with the PDCC!

Dana said...

What a wonderful gift, something to treasure forever! Adorable card :)

Chrissy said...

What a great treasure for you to inherit from your aunt.That is so very special.
Your card is beautiful. Great work!

Stacey Schafer said...

beautiful card!

Sharanda said...

What a lovely card! I know you were floored when you opened that package. I would have cried like a baby!

Jessica T said...

Love the fresh colours you used.
Congrats on making the fab 5 at 2S4Y xx