All Eyes On... Color Misting

Sunday, September 19, 2010

I cannot tell you all how much fun I've been having with Glimmer Mists, lately!  If you're a follower of my blog, you know full well!  LOL!  So, when Dawn told us that Wplus9's September All Eyes On was going to focus on mists, it was just a matter of picking which technique to show you all.  When I ran into this YouTube video, I knew that I had a winner!  Before I get to my project, let me show you the result of this technique, which I'll, also, describe, in detail, below, with Bubble Gum, Yellow Daisy, and Jack Frost Glimmer Mists.  Oh!  And, just a tip, it works a hundred times better on watercolor paper than on regular cardstock.
Well, after doing it once, I got to thinking how this would look just like water with just Jack Frost Glimmer Mist and a touch of Pearl Glimmer Mist.  Look how it turned out!
Just what I was looking for!  Now, I was ready for my project.
I started this page by spritzing a square of white cardstock, heavily, with Jack Frost and Pearl Glimmer Mists; covering it with a scrunched up piece of plastic wrap; and allowing it to dry, before removing the wrap and machine stitching it, with white-threaded, straight stitches, to the textured, Crumb Cake, cardstock page.  The shine is fantastic!  Be sure to click on the photo below to get an up close look at it.
I, then, clear embossed the flower, design images on a strip of Daffodil Delight cardstock; framed it with a punched, across the top and bottom, strip of Only Orange cardstock; machine stitched them together with white-threaded, straight stitches; adhered it, horizontally, across the center of the layout; and embellished each flowers' center with turquoise gemstones, before adhering pictures.
The photo corners were made by clear embossing the larger, flower, design images on Daffodil Delight cardstock; hand cutting them out, leaving one of the bottom corner images separate; adhering them to the top, two pictures' outside corners; and embellishing each flowers' center with turquoise gemstones.
I used my Cricut to cut a 2" circle from white cardstock; hand drew and colored, with Only Orange ink, the stripes to create a beach ball; stamped its center, in Basic Black ink, with the "Life is full of magical moments." subtitle; and adhered it, with dimensionals, in the center of the gridded pictures.  The water spashes were, then, white embossed on white cardstock; spritzed with more Jack Frost Glimmer Mist; allowed to dry; hand cut out; and adhered, with dimensionals, two above and one below, behind the beach ball.
The yellow, chipboard, "SWIM!", glitter, Thickers title and white, cardstock, journaling strips, which read, Relaxing, at our hotel, on our way home from our Colorado vacation.  Garden City, KS  6.22.08, complete the look.

I hope that you all have lots of fun with your mists, and be sure to check out these other design team members' techniques.

Dawn Woleslagle
Elise Durenberger
Kerrianne Gwin
Hannah Craner

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Magical Moments & Design Basics: Backgrounds II (Wplus9); Citronella Clear (K&Company) Paper: Crumb Cake, Only Orange, & Daffodil Delight (SU); white (Georgia Pacific); water color (Hobby Lobby) Ink: Basic Black & Only Orange (SU); VersaMark Other: white embossing powder (Ranger); clear embossing powder (SU); white thread & sewing machine; Jack Frost & Pearl Glimmer Mists (Tattered Angels); Threading Water Border punch (Fiskars); turquoise gemstones (Paper Studio); yellow, chipboard, glitter Thickers (American Crafts); dimensionals; plastic wrap; George & Basic Shapes, Cricut cartridge (Provo Craft)

5 comments:

Elise said...

Jinny... Jinny, JINNY! Holy moly, girl! Just for a sec... FORGET ABOUT THE GLIMMER THING...This layout is SO over the top - I HEAR polar bears barking! Goodness, gracious - this is some extraordinary work! Your use of DAWN'S stamps has me applauding, out loud! The balance, beauty and precision of the work is OUT of this world! Oh, honey - it's just GORGEOUS! Now, back to the misting - um, you had me at your first photo! I will DEFINITELY have to check out that You-tube link, but YOUR work has me ready to dive in for MORE GLITTER! More, more, more!

Yipeee! Thanks for the fun inspiration! Yee Haw!

Laurie said...

What a fun technique! Thanks for sharing! I love your layout!!

Kerrianne said...

What a fabulous layout Jinny!! You are making me miss summer already! That blue just POPS off the page! Love it! I will definitely have to get that color - gorgeous!!

Dawn said...

Once again...great layout Jinny!!! I love the way the "water" misting turned out and absolutely love your photo corners. How creative!

Sue Lelli said...

I LOVE this page and such great pics! Reminds me I have a lot of pages to catch up on!!