Embellish Paper Piecing Color Challenge

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Oh, my, gracious!  Our camping weekend was stinkin' crazy!  I have lots of pictures to show you all but haven't, yet, recovered from a mishap that involved lost keys and not getting home until yesterday afternoon.  I promise that I'll explain more and get the pictures posted ASAP.

I do have Embellish Magazine's Paper Piecing Color Challenge, for you all, today, though.
Such warm, soft, earthy, fall colors!  Here's what I came up with.
At first, I thought about covering that pretty, little box with patterned paper but decided that, with it being kraft-colored, it would serve as the perfect base for my flower grouping.  I started this project by wrapping the Harvest Gold, grosgrain ribbon around just the lid for ease of removal from the box itself; tying it in a bow, just right of center; and embellishing it with a stamped, in Summer Sun ink, "for you", tag sentiment, which was punched out and distressed with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks, before being adhered with dimensionals.
I, then, stamped the flower and leaf images, in Chocolate Chip ink, on patterned papers and hand cut them out.  The flower images were, then, spritzed with Pearl Glimmer Mist and paper pieced together, with dimensionals separating each layer, before being adhered, with dimensionals, over the ribbon, on the lid.
A few, stamped leaves were tucked here and there and gussied up with Rain Dots, to complete the look.
You're probably wondering what this pretty, little box contains.  Check it out!
Now, let me explain.  Awhile back I decorated this jar for my Mom for Mother's Day...
and this jar for my Dad for Father's Day.
Each contained memories, of life with my Mom and Dad, from my siblings and I, that had been typed out; printed on regular, printer paper; rolled up; and bundled with ribbons, of each of our favorite colors, tied in bows.  The bows were double knotted before being tied in a bow, so they could, easily, be slipped off the paper scroll and replaced by simply rolling the paper back up.  And just to make it easy to relocate whose was whose, I, also, signed each memory with the name of the person the memory came from.  I, totally, cased this idea from Dawn McVey's Celebrating Mother's post.

The box of memories above was given to my parents for Grandparent's Day, which was a couple of Sundays ago, now, and contained precious memories, of Grandma and Grandpa, as dictated by all of their grandchildren.  Well, all of them except Adina.  Someday, she'll be able to voice her own memories.  I kept it a little simpler, this time, by using the same color of ribbon for all of the memories... gold for my Dad's and purple for my Mom's.  But, again, they'll be able to separate who the memory came from by the signature on the paper itself.  The memories are meant to be added to their jars.  Then, my Mom will have a little box to re-gift; although, she liked it so much that she said she didn't know if she'd be able to let it go, which, completely, puts a smile on my face.

I hope you enjoyed!  Thanks for visiting me and have a spectacular day!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Ever After (Wplus9); Too Terrific Tags (SU) Paper: white (Georgia Pacific); green, text patterned (7 Gypsies); all other patterned (Jenni Bowlin) Ink: Chocolate Chip & Summer Sun (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: Rain Dots (Cloud 9); Harvest Gold, grosgrain ribbon (PTI); Pearl Glimmer Mist (Tattered Angels); kraft box

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Soooo sweet, love this!! Great creation!! :) :) :) :) :) Very pretty!!

Winter said...

How Beautiful! I love the flowers and the gift is just perfect! I loved that idea on Dawn's blog and I want to use that idea one day too! :)

Ann said...

This is gorgeous, Jinny! Wow oh wow!

Dana said...

This is just stunning! What amazing ideas!

Cristina said...

So great! Love that you did a box for the Embellish challenge. Adorbs.

Sabrina said...

Saw your entry on Embellish and realized we posted it on our blog today. LOVE the box!

Mariana Grigsby said...

Wonderful creation, Jinny! I really like that you did not cover the box with paper!!! It looks fantastic the way it is, and makes the flowers stand out! Thanks for playing along with us!

Sarah Martina said...

LOVE this Jinny! Love it!!! So glad you joined us for the Embellish Color Challenge!

Ren-Yi said...

how adorable is this idea? love the idea of gathering memories. just what moms and dads cherish the most. wanted to stop by and congratulate ( a tad late) on your embellish Whats Hot spotlight. the box is just too cute. love the pp you used.