Embellish Squares Color Challenge

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I hope you all had a fantastic, holiday weekend.  Ours was packed full of fun and quality time.  I, even, got in a little baking, while the kiddos were outside helping BJ clean out the shed.  For starters, I made this scrumptious, Freestyle Fruit Tart from Kraft Foods.
Freestyle Fruit Tart
1 pie crust (I used a family recipe, but you can use a refrigerated, ready-to-use pie crust, too.)
4 oz. Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
3 cups sliced fresh fruit (I used peaches, but I've done it with pears, apples, and plums, too, and they're all delicious!)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon sugar
whipped topping

Preheat oven to 450º.  Place pie crust in greased 10-inch pie plate.  Carefully, spread cream cheese in center of crust; set aside.  Toss fruit with granulated sugar and flour; place over cream cheese.  Gently, fold edge of crust about 2 inches over fruit, leaving center of fruit uncovered.  Sprinkle cinnamon sugar, evenly, over tart.  Bake 25 min. or until crust is golden brown and fruit juices are bubbly.  Cut into slices; top with whipped topping.

I, also, got the baking done for my weekly (Sometimes, it's every week and a half.) bread loaves...
and made some tasty, baked doughnuts, boasting sweet potato and pumpkin, thanks to Deceptively Delicious, for my family, for Labor Day breakfast.  Can't feel too bad about a doughnut that's filled with veggies, even if it is slathered in a powdered sugar frosting :)
Thanks for humoring me, but I know what you all, really, came here for.  I have Embellish Magazine's Squares Color Challenge, for you all, today.
Here's what I came up with.
I started this card by punching scallop circles from two, patterned papers and Perfect Plum cardstock.  I, then, used my brand, spankin' new, Martha Stewart score board to create fold lines along the outside edges; folded them in to reveal new patterns on the two-sided, patterned papers; and adhered them all in a square, grid-like pattern to the Basic Black, cardstock, card face.
The Perfect Plum squares were, then, embellished with green buttons, a couple laced with white string, and one dressed up with a hand cut and stamped, in Perfect Plum ink, on white cardstock, "way 2 go" sentiment, which was adhered with dimensionals.
Thanks so much for visiting me!  Have a great, work week, everyone!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Picture This (SU) Paper: Basic Black & Perfect Plum & green, floral patterned (SU); white (Georgia Pacific); black patterned (K&Company) Ink: Perfect Plum (SU) Other: green buttons (Paper Studio); white string; score board (Martha Stewart); Scallop Circle punch (SU); dimensionals

5 comments:

Kim Ryden said...

I love, LOVE, LOVE this card! So cute!

Laurie said...

This is amazing! I love the scallops peaking thru! So fun!! A great way to incorporate these colors for sure!

And that recipe looks yummy! Going to have to try that one! TFS!

corinna said...

Oh this is soooo pretty! Thanks for visiting me and I've added you to my blog read!

Maile Belles said...

Jinny, this is an amazing use of squares. Love it!!!So glad you could join us in the Embellish Challenge.

Dana said...

Oh my goodness, this is stunning!! What an amazing technique! I'm swooning over the patterns and colors, too!