All Eyes On... Distress Inks

Friday, November 19, 2010

It's time for another, Wplus9 All Eyes On...  This month we're focusing on distress inks.  I decided to create a layout, while putting these goodies to use.
Here's what I came up with.
I started this page by clear embossing the clouds on a 12" x 12" piece of Whisper White cardstock.  I, then, rubbed Faded Jeans distress ink, horizontally, across the top of the layout, right into Tumbled Glass distress ink.  This is my most favorite thing about distress inks.  They blend together so beautifully!  Matter of fact, I love to use a combination of Tea Dye and Antique Linen distress inks for antiquing my projects.  I would, really, like to get my hands on Ranger's Ink Blending Tool; but for now, my foam, make-up sponges do the trick.
I, then, stamped the little, leafy images in Tea Dye distress ink, brushed on a little Perfect Pearls, and set it with a few spritzes of water.  Because distress inks stay sticky longer than regular inks, they hold Perfect Pearls like a dream!  A few, white-threaded, straight stitches add subtle texture and frame the upper left corner for my pictures.
The partial, "livin' the" title was created with white, foam Thickers; and the completed, "DREAM" title, once again, put my distress inks to use.  I simply rubbed my Tea Dye distress ink pad right over the surface of the white, chipboard, Thickers letters to color them, before mixing Perfect Pearls with water and painting over the dried surface.  The slick surface of the letters took better to painting the Perfect Pearls on than brushing it, like I did with the leaves above.
Finally, I journaled, in Really Rust ink, You just loved playing Bitty Basketball.  You, always, jumped in and did your very best, never complained, and were all smiles.  March/April '09, just below the title.
My color inspiration, for this layout, came from The Color Room's Palette 30 {His Room}.
If you're looking for, even, more ways to use distress inks, Jennifer McGuire is the queen!  She's, currently, doing a series of nine-week, Holiday Thinking Inking classes, over at Two Peas; and week one focuses, completely, on distress inks.  Yihoo!  Enjoy, and of course, be sure to check out the rest of the design team's fabulous, distress ink inspiration, as well.  Have a wonderful weekend, ya'll!

Dawn Woleslagle
Elise Durenberger
Hannah Craner
Kerrianne Gwin
Savitri Wilder

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: The Birds and the Bees & Woodgrain Silhouettes (Wplus9) Paper: Whisper White (SU) Ink: Really Rust (SU); Faded Jeans, Tumbled Glass, & Tea Dye (Ranger); VersaMark Other: clear embossing powder & heat gun (SU); Perfect Pearls (Ranger); Thickers (American Crafts); white thread & sewing machine

8 comments:

Elise said...

Mrs. SWEET & lovely and OH, so crafty, Madame Jinny! {How ARE you so talented?} THIS is the MOST inspirational piece of BREATH TAKING scrap work I have seen in an EXTREMELY long time! Absolutely, SUCH terrific use of distress ink, if ever there was some - Oh, my GOODNESS! You slay me, girl! This is one fabby L/O and some of the most delightful use of technique! Mmmmm, hmmmmm: you ON f-i-r-e, girl!

Sabrina said...

WOW! Beautiful page Jinny. I love the idea of really using the distress inks like for scrapbooking - not just for card making! Wonderful techniques! The sewing adds so much to the overall effect of the page. Thanks so much for sharing it with us

Sabrina said...

OOPS. Forgot that I was going to mention I have just recently completed a scrapbook page for a craft sale using distress inks. http://glimmercraft.blogspot.com/2010/11/christmas-scrapbook-page-for-5-x-7.html
Thanks.

Savitri said...

Wow, Jinny, this is BREATHTAKING!! I love what you did with that tool and the ink!! I don't have any inks and will go get some!!!!

Laurel said...

Oh I love this and I so appreciate your description... I must get my hands on some Perfect Pearls and Faded Jeans. I just must!!!

Hannah said...

oh my goodness. So pretty. Love the beautiful sky.

lynn said...

this is a really beautiful page, jinny:)

BabyBokChoy said...

Ah, I'm glad you posted your blog so I now know how you achieved the clouds, amazing stuff!!!!