Christmas Came Early

Monday, November 22, 2010

Christmas came early, to my house, this weekend!  I asked my Dad if he wouldn't mind building us a bookshelf, for the kids' playroom and all our children's books, quite some time ago; and this weekend, he came through with a beautiful, very merry, early, Christmas gift for us all!
Here it is filled with all the kids' books and Bridget (our mouse) front and center.
I haven't had a chance, yet, to give it flair with nick-knacks and whatnot; but right now, I couldn't be happier about all that empty space.  I read somewhere that children who grow up with home libraries of, at least, 500 children's books, on average, complete 3.5 more years of school than those who do not.  So, I'm on a mission!  But not just to fill our case with any children's/young adult books.  I want it to house only the very best.  We, already, have a good start, but I'd love to own all the Caldecott and Newbery award books, as well as the classics.
We used our little shelf to bring Adina's board and cloth books out from her dresser drawers and the short case to hold all the kids' board games.
We, now, call it our library; and even though I've got sanding, painting, and re-flooring to do, we love it!  Matter of fact, the kids didn't ask to watch cartoons, before church, even once, yesterday!  They just, quietly, assumed their places, in their bean bags, with their chosen books.  That couldn't make a mom, like me, more happy!  Thank you just doesn't seem like enough, Dad!  We love you!
I'll be back, later, with my take on the current sketch over at Sketchy Thursdays.  Until then, I wish you all a wonderful, thankful, and peace-filled Monday!

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

Oh so wonderful! It must be nice to have such a handy and creative father. Your children must be thrilled too! All those wonderful books for the children - they must love books. I especially like the bay window bench and the bean bags! A great little kids library room.

Ruthie said...

Thats such a great room! When you are on your quest for books - how about the Greenaway winners and the Carnegie winners for you son?

Rx

Dana said...

I dream of built-ins! So wonderful!

Kim Ryden said...

I love it! In my next house it is essential that we have tons of bookshelves like this for all of my scrapbooks! With the amount of books we have in our house we could stand to have a library too!