Happy Birthday, Adina!

Monday, November 1, 2010

It's so hard to believe that my baby's, already, two years old!  We celebrated with a two-year photo shoot at the mall; a trip, to Party City, to pick up a few paper goods for her big party, which is this coming Saturday; a homemade, macaroni and cheese dinner...
(I, even, had a little help making it.)...
and a Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake.  Mmmm!
Over the last year, Adina has discovered her inner musician...
honed her new-found walking skills into running and jumping and dancing skills...
been potty trained...
started sleeping in a big girl bed (Without her brother, I should say.) and only fell out a couple of times...
learned to dress herself (Tuhee!)...
AND undress herself...
embraced her girly nature...
developed her love for Starbucks...
and taken her first boat ride (Well, only if you don't count Grandma and Grandpa's paddle boat.)...
as well as her first train ride.
She's an energetic engineer...
quiet librarian...
skillful builder...
future leader...
savvy businesswoman...
friendly farmer...
pro-wrestler...
race-car driver...
carefree artist...
and budding singer/song-writer.  She, also, began singing to the point of us being able to recognize her song, this year.  Her fave, today, is "Birthday to you.  Birthday to you.  Birthday, Adina.  Birthday to you," which she sings from the top of her lungs.  Sooo cute!  But most days, she likes Jesus Loves Me.
She's made lots of friends...
and captured the hearts of everyone.  Happy birthday, baby girl!  I love you!  And, finally, I promised you all a look at that birthday outfit I made.
I followed Moda Bake Shop's Little Girl's Patchwork Skirt recipe for the skirt (front, then back views below)...
changing only the length of the waistband tie pieces from 23" to 28"...
the number of fabric squares from seven to eight across (Mine were only 4-1/2".), and lining it in hopes of making it a little warmer for this winter.
The long-sleeve tee was appliqued with a "2", which was cut, with my Cricut (See more, how-to details in this post.), from an extra fabric square.
If you'll believe it, the only things I purchased, other than the $4.99, Target tee above, were the interfacing, behind the applique, and her cowgirl boots.
I had all the fabric on hand.  The pink polka dot fabric, as well as the lining, were leftover from her Easter dress I made back here (I, always, seem to have lots leftover, when I use a purchased pattern.  Why is that?), and the fabric squares and navy fabric came from BJ's grandmother.  It'll be so fun to have this special memory of her.

I remember being so excited, that BJ had a grandmother, when he and I got married.  My Grandma passed away, when I was only ten-years-old; and while her step-sister, my Auntie Myrt, filled her shoes, honorably, with all the necessary love and affection, she, too, passed away, just after BJ and I got engaged.  I was in need of a grandmotherly figure in my life.  BJ's grandmother never filled that role, while she was living.  But that's no never mind, because this skirt won't serve as a memory of what could have been, but rather what she and I had in common... a love for sewing.  I'm told she was quite the seamstress in her day.

Thanks so much for stopping by and reading!  Oh!  And happy November!  Can you believe it?!

No comments: