It's Beginning to Look Alot Like Christmas!

Friday, December 3, 2010

Our tradition is to put up our Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving, so last Friday morning, we were off to pick out our tree.  By Friday afternoon, we had given up on our Christmas lights (For some reason, all of our strands didn't store well, and we were left with a heap of wires that wouldn't light up.) and were back to the store to purchase 800 more.  But by Friday night, it looked like this, and all we wanted to do was sit back and get lost in its beauty.  (These photos just don't do it justice.)
As always, we added a few, new, Hallmark ornaments. Ezekiel got this one for his love of fishing.
Adina received this one, because it's her third Christmas with us.  She'll have five of these and then begin getting whatever ornament fits her for that year.
And BJ and myself were given this one from my parents.
From last year, we, also, added, to the rest of the Christmas decor, a few, clear, snowflake balls...
and frosted, red, berry twigs...
as well as a smidgen of mistletoe that we picked up, on our trip to Tan-Tar-A Resort, in Osage Beach, Missouri, this summer.  Gotta have mistletoe!
Our traditional, trimming the tree dinner has become carryout pizza and winter floats (hot cocoa with a scoop of Blue Bunny Peppermint Stick or sometimes just vanilla ice-cream).
I know... I know... not so healthy, but it's just once a year; and it's fabulous not to have to think about dinner, when we're blasting the Christmas music (I think that's my kiddos' favorite part!  They're such funny dancers!)...
and making Christmas magic.  This year, in exchange for the winter floats, BJ and myself tried Michael's Coffee Punch on page 53 of Paula Deen's 2010 Special Collector's Issue Christmas Magazine.
Oh, my gracious!  This stuff is the yummiest yet!  It, literally, tastes like liquid tiramisu.  Soooo scrumptious!  Since our last, new recipe from Paula's magazine, we've, also tried her Hearty Red Beans and Rice, on page 29, but didn't think that it had much flavor...
as well as her Braised Short Ribs with Citrus Gremolata on page 71.  Being the demi-vegetarian that I am, and since I, obviously, wasn't eating it, I asked BJ to rate it.  He gave it three stars.  Around my house, it has to get a minimum of four out of five for me to make it again; but when Ezekiel heard that this would be our last helping, he stood and gave it five stars.  A couple of days later, while BJ was enjoying the leftovers, he changed his to four and a half stars; so, we'll, likely, be trying it, at least, one more time.  LOL!
I hope, wherever you live and however you celebrate Christmas, that you're all finding time with family, enjoying scrumptious treats, and remembering the true reason for the season (Luke 2:1-20).

Oh!  And before I run, eeek!  Two of my cards, this one here and this one way back here, were featured on CREATE:, for Paige's Thank You Cards Challenge, yesterday!  AND soooo stinkin' excited, too, that this creation made Embellish Magazine's What's Hot list!  Thank you so much, ladies!  I'm, always, so surprised to see one of my creations featured amongst all those uber talented papercrafters!  I'm beyond honored!
I'll be back, tomorrow morning, with another Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge; and remember, that you have until 11:59 PST tonight to play along with the current, Bowtiful Ribbon Challenge.  Hope to see you tomorrow!

2 comments:

lynn said...

jinny, what a great post! love the xmas decor, sweet kids, yummy food-(now i'm hungry), and a big congrats on your great features!!!

your cards were all adorable! happy weekend!

Sue Lelli said...

I am so loving the pictures of your kids decorating and dancing! How ADORABLE! And to think I had to decorate the tree all by myself this year since my son's away in college. Enjoy those moments! Cherish each and every one!