All Eyes On... Envelopes

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Welcome to Wplus9 Design's January All Eyes On... Envelopes!  Sometimes it's difficult for me to dress up envelopes, because I want to embellish, glitter, and dress them up to the point that my mailman isn't very happy with me.  So, I try to save all the goodies for the card; but even then, I end up paying lots more to get them to their recipients.  At least, they arrive in one piece, though.  That's more than I can say for the envelopes.  Hee!  Hee!  Anyway, I kept the envelope, that I have, for you all, today, super simple.  Mailman Ron would be so proud ;).
Let's take a look at it up close and personal, and then, I'll give you the low-down on the matching card.  I started, this envelope, by cutting a 8-1/2" square piece of Ruby Red cardstock and scoring the two vertical folds at 2-3/4" and the two horizontal folds at 3-1/2".  My Martha Stewart score board makes quick work of creating custom envelopes.  The inside panel measured, horizontally, from fold line to fold line, 6-1/2" by, vertically, from bottom fold line to top point, 8-1/2".  So, I created a Whisper White, cardstock insert 1/4" less in height and width, or 6-1/4" x 8-1/4".  I, then, measured in 1/8" around the top point of the insert, marked it with a pencil, and cut to size.
The only thing left to do, before stamping, was to mark the top flap fold line, which ended up being 4-3/4" from the base of the insert.
Then, after scoring, I distressed its edges with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks and stamped the heart pattern in Ruby Red ink, before adhering it to the envelope itself.
A little glue, to put it together, completes the look.  You can always trim the bottom flap's point straight across or, even, round it, but I kept it simple... just cut and fold.
For the card, I created the same background pattern, as the envelope, by first distressing a piece of Whisper White cardstock with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks and stamping the heart pattern in Ruby Red ink.
I, then, adhered the kraft envelope in the center of the prepped piece; machine stitched a double, brown-threaded, straight-stitch frame around its edges; and adhered it to the Ruby Red, cardstock, card face.
The white, cardstock, envelope insert was stamped, in Ruby Red ink, with a frame, as well as, in Jet Black ink, with the bumblebee image, which was, in turn, colored with Barely Banana and Bordering Blue inks and glittered.
A little, handwritten, in Basic Black ink, "mine" completes the "{bee} mine" sentiment; a red, gingham ribbon; a brown, Vintage-Style button, laced with Baker's Twine...
and one more, little heart, stamped, in Ruby Red ink, in the bottom right corner of the front of the envelope, make this project mail ready.
My color inspiration, for this project, came from Create for Fun's Color Challenge # 11.
Hope you enjoyed and maybe learned a little something from my All Eyes On... project.  Thanks so much for stopping by, and please, be sure to stop by the other designers' blogs to see what they, too, have cooked up, for you, today.

Dawn Woleslagle
Elise Durenberger
Hannah Craner
Kerrianne Gwin
Maile Belles
Savitri Wilder

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Sweet Nothings, All Occasion Tags, & The Birds and the Bees (Wplus9) Paper: Ruby Red & Whisper White (SU) Ink: Ruby Red & Basic Black (SU); Jet Black (StazOn); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: brown thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Dazzling Diamonds (SU); kraft envelope & white, cardstock insert (Melissa Frances); brown, Vintage-Style button (Jenni Bowlin); red, gingham ribbon (Hobby Lobby); Baker's Twine (AR Designs); score board (Martha Stewart)

19 comments:

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Super cute card & envelope set Jinny! Love that little pocket & tag combo on the front of the card! Thanks for the great tutorial! Thanks so much for playing along with CR84FN :)

Geny (Mommy Geny) said...

Beautiful card and envelope Jinny!!! Love it!

Hannah said...

Oh my golly. Your card is drop dead gorgeous. I love your envelope too.

Debgem said...

Just fantastic!! Your envelope is great - love the heart insert. Such a sweet tag on the card - just love the bee mine sentiment :) Thanks so much for playing along with CR84FN this week.

Kerrianne said...

Be still my heart - HOW cute?!? Love the sentiment you created and the gorgeous pattern with the hearts! Love it Jinny!

lynn said...

such a CUTE envelope and tag card, jinny! happy weekend!

Linda Beeson said...

I am loving that heart you used for your cute creation. It worked perfectly for your design and that cute envelope liner.

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE the inside of the envelope and that tag on the card! I'm afraid my post office would rip that button right off of it unless I put it in a padded box! But it's so CUTE I probably would pay for the box! THX for playing with us this week on CR84FN!

patti west said...

hi Jinny! Thank you for the lovely envelope tutorial! Your card (and your entire blog) is beautiful!! I am a new follower. :)
http://pattiwest.blogspot.com/

Elise said...

I feel like I'm in repetition mode, every time I visit you and your amazing work, cause that's all I can think of: AMAZING, STUNNING, CLEVER, FABULOUS, OHHHHH, so TALENTED! DARLING, BEAUTIFUL, THOUGHTFUL, fun, fun, fun AND crafty! Well, girl......... THAT'S BECAUSE YOU AREEEEEE! All of the above and THIS fantastic project! Love, love, love HOW you "brung" it! Yipeee! FANTASTIC {almost forgot that one! heh heh} work!

Gabby said...

Great project! Such a fun little envelope with the greeting inside! :)

Julie Ranae said...

Really wonderful project and great instructions to boot!

Patrice said...

This is fabulous!

Meredith said...

Oh, this is so CUTE! I love the little tag that pops out of that lovely Kraft pouch on your card... and the tut for your envelope is awesome - I'll be using it for sure! Thanks for playing with CR84FN this week!

jen said...

What a great project!! That card is so yummy- love the button, ribbon & stitching- they all work so well with your stamping! :)

Envelopes said...

The envelope that you have shared over here is really nice and it is truly attractive as well. You have made it really nicely and accurately so that people like to see it.

Kathy said...

Cute card liner! We sometimes neglect the inside of the envelope...thanks for the inspiration:)

Pauline said...

What a lovely envelope and tag, thanks for tutorial too.

Stephanie Kraft said...

Love your card and envelope, Jinny! The tag is really sweet, too! Thanks for joining us at CR84FN!