My Birthday Weekend

Monday, January 24, 2011

I hope that you all had a wonderful weekend!  It was my birthday weekend!  Yippeee!  My parents were going to come down, but it ended up working better overall, for reasons that, actually, have to do with that new carpet we're getting in my creative space soon (Eeek!), for them to wait until next weekend.  So, I, still, have that to look forward to.  Anyway, my hubby had a church meeting all morning; but I, really, needed to get out of the house.  So, I took the kiddos to pick up my baby girl's flower girl dress from the tailor's... just a sneak peek now ;).  Mwahaha!  She was so happy holding that seamstress' chalk.
Then, we headed over to Target to try to find a new battery for my camera, but we didn't have any luck.  We did end up finding a couple of fun books for my kiddos, though... Superfudge by Judy Blume for Ezekiel and Eight Silly Monkeys for Adina.
As we were leaving, my hubby surprised us in the parking lot and took us to lunch, for my birthday, at Avelluto's Italian Delight.
It was our first time visiting.  We went on a recommendation from a friend, and I've got to say, it was super yum-o!  I'd, totally, recommend it to any of you Kansascitians.  It's not classy or elegant, but it's kid-friendly; everyone was super nice; the menu was vast; and the prices were reasonable.  Plus, we got to watch the pizza guy hand toss pizza crust :).  Ezekiel, really, enjoyed the pizza.  Look at the size of that slice!  The rest of us had calzones (BJ), cheese ravioli with french bread and house salad (me), and fettuccine alfredo with french bread (Adina).  We all left full and happy.  Their tiramisu looks to die for, but I was just too full.  I'll save it for next time.
Our afternoon was relaxing.  We just hung out together.  My big kiddo started running a fever and didn't want to do much.  I did talk him into having a piece of birthday cake, with Mommy, though.
I'd love to share this recipe, for Apple Crumb Cake, with warm, buttery sauce, with you all, but it's a secret ;).  So, so, so my favorite, and my hubby is a doll for making it for me.  Thanks, baby!
Anyway, a sick kiddo left me home, from church, again, yesterday.  Bummer.  But I made good use of my time and whipped up Ree Drummond's Perfect Pot Roast with my mashed potatoes.
Being the demi-vegetarian that I am, I stuck with the mashed potatoes and homemade dinner rolls and made myself a few, glazed, baby carrots, but my hubby says this recipe lives up to its name and that he's never had a better pot roast.

Perfect Pot Roast
1 whole (4 to 5 Pounds... Ours was closer to 3.) chuck roast
2 Tbsp. EVOO
2 whole onions
6 whole carrots
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 cup red wine (optional... You can use beef broth instead... I did!)
2 to 3 cups beef stock
3 sprigs fresh thyme, or more to taste
3 sprigs fresh rosemary, or more to taste

First and foremost, choose a nicely marbled piece of meat. This will enhance the flavor of your pot roast like nothing else. Generously, salt and pepper your chuck roast.  Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Then, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil (or you can do a butter/olive oil split).  Cut two onions in half, and cut 6 to 8 carrots into 2-inch slices.  (You can peel them, but you don’t have to.)  When the oil in the pot is very hot (but not smoking), add in the halved onions, browning them on one side and then the other.  Remove the onions to a plate.  Throw the carrots into the same, very hot pan and toss them around a bit until slightly browned, about a minute or so.  (I simplified a little and put the onions and carrots into the hot pan, to brown, at the same time.  Worked like a charm!)  If needed, add a bit more olive oil to the very hot pan. Place the meat in the pan, and sear it, for about a minute, on all sides, until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.  With the burner still on high, use either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom with a whisk to get all of that wonderful flavor up.  When the bottom of the pan is sufficiently deglazed, place the roast back into the pan and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway (about 2 to 3 cups).  Add in the onion and the carrots, as well as 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary and about 3 sprigs of fresh thyme.  Put the lid on.  Then, roast in a 275 degree oven for 3 hours for a 3-pound roast.  For a 4 to 5-pound roast, plan on 4 hours.

That's the last pic from my birthday weekend other than this sweet one of Adina helping make a pitcher of juice for her brother.  She loves to help!
I'll be back, later today, with a little something papercrafty in nature for you all.  Until then, have a wonderful start to your work week!

1 comment:

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Looks like you had a great birthday! LOVE the pics of the family--PLEASE do share that recipe! LOVE IT--my mouth is watering! MMM! Happy birthday:)