CR84FN13 & Got Sketch #108

Friday, February 4, 2011

Good morning!  I hope that you all, wherever you may be, are staying safe and warm.  It has been frigid here, so we've been trying to stay home; but yesterday, we had to venture out, in three degree temperatures, to take my big kiddo to the doctor.  As it turns out, he has what I, as a lay person, would call strep throat, a cold in both eyes, and a double ear infection.  Ugh!  It has a name, but I cannot remember what our pediatrician called it.  Regardless, he feels miserable, has a constant headache, and is in pain.  Poor baby!  He started meds as soon as we got home, so hopefully, he'll be feeling much better before our adventure to Dallas, TX, next week, for my sister-in-law's wedding... fingers crossed!

Anyway, earlier this week, I received a mysterious package from Taylored Expressions.  I wasn't expecting anything, but it was addressed to little, `ol me.  So, anxiously, I tore into the package, thinking there'd be a note inside.  I found these gorgeous, little goodies but no note.
That's Maya Road's cream and red, heart, stick pins (The same ones that were in my Friday Faves post last week!); 10 yards of red, polka dot ribbon; and four of each of five colors of paper roses.  Yum-O!  My heart wanted to dive in right away, but my head said to contact Taylor to be sure there wasn't a mix-up.  As it turns out, there was no mix-up.  They were, definitely, meant for me and from a person who wished to remain anonymous.  So fun!  Don't you love mysteries?!  At that point, my heart took over; and despite all the ickies going on at my house, I put together this pretty, little number for my mystery-giver.  Thank you so very much, whomever you are!
I started, this card, by punching a piece of Tempting Turquoise cardstock across its top edge; piecing together all those scrumptious, patterned papers, as well as that previously punched strip; machine stitching red-threaded, zig-zag stitches between each connection; and adhering them to the Very Vanilla, cardstock, card face.  A red-threaded, straight, machine stitch was, then, ran around the edges of my prepped piece.  Normally, I would have done this step before I adhered it to the card face, in order to give the inside of the card a nice clean look, but with all those layers, stitching afterwards helps to anchor them in place.  An extra piece of cardstock, adhered over the inside stitching lines, cleans it right up, again.  I, then, distressed it, slightly, with Ivory White, acrylic paint and a dry brush.
That same acrylic paint was used to cover my chipboard tag, which was, then, distressed with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks; glittered; and adhered slightly tipped to the right of my white, seam binding ribbon, which had been wrapped, vertically, around the center of the card face; tied in a dressy bow; and embellished with one of those paper roses from my mysterious package.
A Valentine, chipboard button, framed with a piece of punched Cajun Craze cardstock...
and a stamped, in Basic Brown ink, {ps... i love you!} sentiment...
complete the look.
My inspiration, for this card, came from Create For Fun's Color Challenge #13 (You all know that I couldn't possibly pass up one of my favorite color combos!  Hee!)...
and Got Sketch's Sketch #108.
I've, also, got a few of those snow pictures that I promised, for you all, today.  I took this first one just as soon as the Tuesday morning light would allow.
This one was taken at noon, that same day, before any snowplows had found their way down our street...
AND by the end of the day, this is what it looked like.
This one was taken first thing the next morning.  I don't think that we got much more, but it was still snowing, when we tucked ourselves into bed the night before.
Here's the grand total...
and a couple, more, pretty, snow pictures just because.
And finally, and I know this is another one of my famed, long posts.  So sorry!  But I didn't want to say good-bye, until I got to tell you all how excited I was to find this creation, over here, and this one, all the way back here, on CREATE:, this morning, for Paige's CARDS: Spray Mists Challenge.  AND it was so fun to see this fun card get a Top Three recognition at CASE Study.  Yippeee!  Thank you ever so much to all the ladies who made said such possible!  I'm, truly, honored!
And thank you so much, to all of you, for visiting me!  Have a wonderful weekend!  Oh!  And don't forget to link up your entries for Challenge #41: Get Sketchy, by the close of today PST, for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge.  Okay... I'm really signing off now ;)!  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Love in Return (Unity) Paper: Very Vanilla, Tempting Turquoise, & Cajun Craze (SU); red doily patterned (October Afternoon); brown patterned (Crate Paper); turquoise glitter patterned (DCWV Nana's Kitchen Stack); notebook patterned (Basic Grey) Ink: Basic Brown (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: red thread (Coats); sewing machine (Janome); Ivory White acrylic paint (FolkArt); Spiral & Scallop Circle punches & Dazzling Diamonds (SU); chipboard tag (Best Occasions); white seam binding ribbon (Zipper Stop); Papaya paper rose (Taylored Expressions); chipboard button (Jenni Bowlin)

14 comments:

Maria said...

What a beautiful card! And a mystery person who sends you such goodies...how SWEET!!! Love the paper, ribbon, flower! Thanks for sharing the snow pictures! Sunny here in NW Ohio and hoping some snow melts away!:-)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOW! What a beautiful card--love that seam binding and bow! Can you please share how you make that bow??? I LOVE IT! And how fun for someone to send something to you--LOVE all your goodies:) Can't wait to see what you make with them!

Fiona said...

That is a beautiful card Jinny :) So sweet of a mystery person sending you some love like that! Congrats on all your shout outs!

Debgem said...

This is a beautiful card, I love all the little details. Thanks so much for playing along with CR84FN this week!

PS I do hope your little one feels better soon.

Sue Lelli said...

Jinny, LOVE how you placed the patterned papers on the note paper with the sentiment! PRETTY card! THX for playing with us at CR84FN!

AnitaRex said...

What fun stuff the mystery person sent you! Love it! And such a lovely card you created! :>

Tenia Nelson said...

Gorgeous card and I hope your kiddo gets better soon!!! Hope all is well...

Lisa Somerville said...

How pretty! Love the papers, great use of the sketch and this weeks color challenge. Thanks for playing at CR84FN!

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Love all the layers and sweet flower embellishment Jinny! Thanks for playing along with CR84FN :)

coKo said...

Hi, Jinny, as I didn't find a e-mail adress to answer to your comment on my post (Color Cue), I write you here : Thank you, Jinny, for this sweet comment. I did a visit to your blog : it'll be a new, appreciate inspiration for me.
xoxoxo from France. coKo
Excuse my english, french is my mother language !

Andrea M said...

What a beautiful card Jinny for such a thoughtful mystery gift giver! I love fun mail too!!! The person who sent the gift is bound to adore this beauty! Congrats on the top 3 win at CASE Study! Great job! Thanks so much for playing along with CR84FN!!! Hope you can join us again next week!

Stephanie Kraft said...

Sweet card, Jinny! Thanks for playing with CR84FN!

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Stunning design. Love the stitching and the heart sentiment. :)

Libby Hickson said...

Love what you did with your mystery goodies!! So pretty. And so sweet of someone to do that for you!