All Eyes On... Repetition

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Welcome the March edition of Wplus9 Design's All Eyes On... Repetition!  As soon as Dawn said that we would be focusing on repetition this month, I knew, immediately, that I wanted to focus on repetition of color; but I, also, had so much fun combining it with repetition of shape and texture for the layout that I want to share, with you all, today.
I started this layout by machine stitching the blue, clock, patterned paper to the Night of Navy, cardstock, layout base, as well as a circle near the top left corner of the layout, with navy-threaded, messy, straight stitches.
I, then, layered a strip of barn board, patterned paper, slightly at an angle, just below horizontal center and machine stitched it, across its top and bottom edges, with navy-threaded, straight stitches.  A strip of large, blue, polka dot, patterned paper was trimmed, across its bottom edge, with a punched strip of blue, notebook, patterned paper; adhered slightly at an angle opposite of the barn board, patterned paper; and machine stitched, across its top edge, with navy-threaded, zig-zag stitches.  The strip of chipboard (It's actually one of those dividers for a post scrapbook album.  Hee!) was stamped, in Moonlight White ink, with the woodgrain image from Woodgrain Silhouettes and adhered, at an angle, running in the same direction of the large, blue, polka dot, trimmed piece.

The banner was created by dry embossing a piece of Bordering Blue cardstock with the woodgrain texture; Cricut-cutting diamond shapes from it, as well as the small, blue, polka dot, patterned paper; hand-cutting the diamonds in half to form triangles; and adhering them, in the shape of an arched banner, from one post album hole to the next, across the bottom of the layout. Dimensionals separate each layer, as well as the banner itself from the layout base, and blue Bella Brads anchor it on either end.
After adhering pictures, I stamped the leaf image, from Woodgrain Silhouettes Additions, in Night of Navy ink, on Very Vanilla cardstock; glittered it; hand cut it out; adhered it near the top left side of the machine-stitched circle; and embellished it with a metal clock, anchored with Hodgepodge Hardware and a brad.
I, then, stamped the circular, woodgrain, leafy image, in Moonlight White ink, on a piece of Crumb Cake cardstock; hand cut it out; framed it with a piece of hand-cut, Night of Navy cardstock; hand-stitched, with white string, a frame around its edges; and adhered it, with dimensionals, in the clock/date cluster.
A stamped, in Night of Navy ink, with Postmarked, December '09, striped, sticker tab; stamped, again with the woodgrain image, chipboard flags, embellished with blue buttons, laced with hemp twine; and a little distressing, with Ivory White, acrylic paint, complete the look.
There you have it!  I have repetition of...
  1. Color - blue - cardstock & patterned papers, as well as stamping, stitching, & embellishments
  2. Shape - circles - clocks, brads, polka dots, buttons, date stamp, sticker tab, stitching, arch of the banner, woodgrain/leaf image, & cluster of elements itself
  3. Texture - woodgrain - stamping, dry embossing, & patterned paper
and it all pulls together for one cohesive, balanced design.  You could, also, argue in favor of repetition of the flags and leafy elements themselves, but you get the idea.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  I'd LOVE to hear what you think!  And I hope you all are enjoying a lazy weekend.  Oh!  And I cannot forget to send you off to the other girls for more projects reflecting repetition...

Dawn Woleslagle
Elise Durenberger
Kerrianne Gwin
Savitri Wilder

or give credit to my inspirational sources.  I used Paper Variety's Challenge #25...
and The Color Room's Palette #50: {His Room} to get me going...
{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Woodgrain Silhouettes, Woodgrain Silhouettes Additions, & Postmarked (Wplus9) Paper: Night of Navy, Bordering Blue, Very Vanilla, Crumb Cake, & large blue polka dot patterned (SU); blue clock & notebook patterned (Jenni Bowlin); barn board patterned (Paper Studio); small blue polka dot patterned (My Mind's Eye) Ink: Night of Navy (SU); Moonlight White (Brilliance) Other: navy thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); George & Basic Shapes Cricut Cartridge & Cricut (Provo Craft); Bracket punch (EK Success); Big Shot (Sizzix); Woodgrain Texturz Plate, Dazzling Diamonds, Hodgepodge Hardware, & brad (SU); white string & hemp twine (Hobby Lobby); dimensionals (Scotch); blue Bella Brads (Pink Paislee); chipboard flags & metal clock (Jenni Bowlin); Ivory White acrylic paint (FolkArt); blue buttons (New Phase); date sticker tab (daisyd's)

9 comments:

~jan said...

Your layout is fabulous, Jinny! Love your step by steps and all the small details you have included on this awesome take on Jana's sketch! The little Cb flags with the knotted buttons are my fave! Thanks for sharing your talent with us at The Paper Variety!

Suzy said...

This is awesome Jinny! I just love the color combo. Thanks for the close ups of all the fine details. Great take on Jana's sketch. Thanks for sharing at TPV! :)

patti west said...

Woo hoo Jinny!! So fun to see your work in the PV gallery! :) Love this lo - your details are always so stunning!! Thanks for playing w/us at The Paper Variety. :)

Savitri said...

This is so so fun! I love all the little details! The stitching is my fave besides the little tags.

Elise said...

I AM positively dizzy from ALL of your stamping magic that you mixed in a loved melange of SCRAPPY {you are SUCH my sheRO!} fabulousness! Yes, please, I'd love a cup of THAT brew! I'm DIZZY from ALL of the wonder and splendor of this terrific project! GOSH! I feel like I have to run back into Scrapland and STAMP something! Yipeeee! WONDERFUL inspiration, my dear! Yeeee HAW!

Sandy Ang said...

Really appreciate how you share your thought process behind the LO. And also your how-tos for creating the lovely effects. Thanks for the inspiration.

Wendy said...

LOVE, Love, love your page! You do such an amazing job combining everything together to look flawless. I'm slightly jealous, but you did inspire me to try the sketch out! I tried ;-)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

HOLY COW! This is aaaaaaaamazing! I love the colors--the embossing--the papers...wow! You knock my socks off with your LOs! I wish I could make some like this! Or even just 25% of this! LOVE it:)

Abby said...

Gorgeous layout! Love the colors and all your details.... great photos too! Thanks for participating at The Paper Variety, good luck in the drawing tomorrow! :)