ColourQ #84 & CPS #217

Friday, May 13, 2011

So, I'm coming to you all a little late, with this post, today.  I think there are a lot of folks in the same boat with the whole Blogger Fiasco.  LOL!  But I'm here, and thrilled to share a card, that I made my dad for his retirement party, earlier this week.
I started this card by stamping the dogwood image, in Jet Black ink, on a piece of textured, Whisper White cardstock; framing it with a slightly larger piece of Crumb Cake cardstock; machine stitching, with navy-threaded, straight stitches, around its edges, as well as around the edges of a piece of olive, striped, patterned paper, which was adhered to the Not Quite Navy, cardstock, card face; coloring it with Daffodil Delight, Barely Banana, and Old Olive inks and a blender pen; and glittering it.
I, then, stamped the "CONGRATS SO HAPPY FOR YOU" sentiment, in Not Quite Navy and Old Olive inks, on a piece of textured, Whisper White cardstock; adhered it, in the bottom center of the prepped piece, with dimensionals; and flanked it on either side with a length of Harvest Gold, grosgrain ribbon, thread through the prepped panel, and two, navy buttons, laced with white string.
A trio of yellow brads preps the stamped piece for the card face itself, which it was adhered to with dimensionals...
to complete the look.
My inspiration for this card came from ColourQ's Challenge #84...
and Card Positioning Systems' Sketch #217.
And just for fun, how about a few pictures of the party itself?  My Dad has been a Construction Technology teacher, amongst many, other, additional titles, at Flint Hills Technical College, for the last 17 years and is beyond thrilled for the change and excitement that comes with retiring and starting up his old contracting business again.  He's already got people knocking down his door with jobs and will, I'm sure, stay busier than he wants to.  Growing up, he was always my provider; and while he no longer, immediately, puts the food on my table or clothes on my back or shelter over my head, I still lean on him for advice and help and am ever so proud of all he has accomplished and still has in store for his future.
I love you, Dad!  And I'm so glad we were able to be there to help you celebrate.  It is obvious, from all the loving words that were said, that you are just as much a treasure to all the people you've worked with as you are to me!
Oh, and I just couldn't resist sneaking in this one of my Grandpa and my baby girl.  Too precious!
Okay... I've got DT work to do and posts to restore, ya'll; but before I'm off to it, I'm thrilled to tell you all that this card was featured in CARDS' Fabric Flower Tutorial gallery, on CREATE:, yesterday, and this layout was a Sketchy Thursdays' Fave.  Thank you so much to all the designers who made said such possible!  It amazes me, again and again, that my work is good enough, amongst all the beauty I see in blogland, to be featured.  So, seriously, THANK YOU!  It means so much to me!
Thanks so much for peeking in, and have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Flora & Fauna I & Filigreed Frames (Wplus9) Paper: Not Quite Navy, Crumb Cake, Whisper White, & olive striped (SU) Ink: Daffodil Delight, Barely Banana, Old Olive, & Not Quite Navy (SU); Jet Black (StazOn) Other: navy thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); dimensionals (Scotch); navy buttons & Dazzling Diamonds (SU); Harvest Gold grosgrain ribbon (PTI); yellow brads (We R Memory Keepers); white string (Hobby Lobby)

10 comments:

AnitaRex said...

Hi Jinny! Love your card today! Perfect for your dad's retirement! Loved reading the sweet things you said about him too!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeee that card!! AWESOME colors and stitching!! And loveeeeeeee the photos from his party!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Gorgeous card and great photos Jinny! Glad blogger is back so that I can visit everyone and see their fab projects. :)

~Tammy~ said...

Your card is stunning and I know your Dad knows it's a winner! What a beautiful day! Your daughter is also too cute along with your grandpa!!! I was actually on your blog trying to leave comments earlier when it went crazy, so I have to go back and play catch up! Yes, it deleted comments and totally wrecked post that were scheduled. Fun times! Congrats on your Sketchy Tuesday Fav! Well deserved!!!

Lea L. said...

This is gorgeous, Jinny! I just love how you've glittered the blooms, but it stayed so elegant and pretty! The ribbon treatment is fabulous too! Thanks for playing at CPS this week! ♥♥♥

LeAnne said...

Wonderful card for your Dad, and your grandad and daughter are so cute together! Thanks for playing the CQC this week!

Debgem said...

This is really lovely - the glittered flowers are fabulous!! And thanks for sharing the photos of your family - they're really super!

Noelle said...

So pretty, Jinny! I love the glitter and that fab stitching, I always love to see your work:) Thanks for joining us at CQC this week! :)

Sylvia said...

Lovely card, Jinny! Wonderful post as well. Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week.

Christina said...

So fabulous, Jinny! I love the glitter you added to these gorgeous flowers and the fun sentiment banner. Inspiring, as always! Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week!