Embellish Square Cards Color Trends Challenge & Sketchbook Saturday Challenge #9

Monday, May 2, 2011

Good, Monday morning to you all!  While it's still a bit chilly outside now, it looks to be a beautiful day, and I cannot tell you how much I love being outside, especially when the weather is cooperating; my gardens are full; and the grass is filling in nicely.  It'll be even better when the back yard is completely landscaped; our patio is expanded; and the big dirt-covered areas can no longer become big mud-filled areas.  Oh, to see the day!

I want to say a big thank you, to you all, for your thoughtful well-wishes for my kiddos' health!  You all are so sweet!  Ezekiel's still running a low-grade fever, but Adina seems to be in the clear.  They both are still dragging their feet, though.  You can just look at their eyes and tell that they're not feeling up to par... well, that along with the added grumpiness and shortened tempers.  Yea for me!  I hope you can sense my sarcasm.  Ezekiel's still doing his school lessons today, despite it all.  He has only 12 days of school left and simply doesn't want to get behind and drag them out another day!  LOL!

Okay... enough talk.  How about a pretty, little, papercrafty number in honor of the upcoming, Mother's Day holiday?!
I started this card by trimming the vertical edges of a strip of pink, plaid, patterned paper with punched strips of textured, Whisper White cardstock; machine stitching, with yellow-threaded, straight stitches, just inside those punched edges; and adhering the prepped piece down the center of my distressed, with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks, Baja Breeze, square, cardstock, card face.
I, then, wrapped a length of white seam binding, around the card face, over that prepped piece; tied it, in a dressy bow, near the top edge of the card face; and embellished it with an aqua button, laced with a hemp twine bow.
A So Saffron, cardstock die-cut, which had been stamped, in Barely Banana ink, with the frame and glittered, was tucked, with dimensionals, just under that embellished bow and dressed up with stamped, in Jet Black ink, on Whisper White cardstock; colored with Rose Red, Regal Rose, Pretty in Pink, Barely Banana, Wild Wasabi, Marina Mist, and Baja Breeze inks and a blender pen; and hand cut flowers and leaves.  The "Happy Mother's Day" sentiment was then stamped, in Rose Red ink, in the center of an oval cut from an aqua, weave, patterned paper and tucked in amongst the flowers.
A little, white, gel pen detailing, added to the leaves and sentiment oval, add further dimension and complete the look.
My inspiration for this card came from Embellish's Square Cards Color Trends Challenge...
and Chupa's Sketchbook Saturday Challenge #9.
I'm off to fold another load of laundry and check on my littlest kiddo.  She got a Caillou movie, at the library, last week and just cannot seem to get enough.  But before I do, I want to send out a little reminder that you have until this Saturday, May 7, 2011, at 10:59 pm EST, to link up your takes on Color Cue {14} at the Wplus9 Design Blog.  Everyone is welcome to play along, whether you own any Wplus9 stamps or not; although, if you do have some, we'd also LOVE to see what you're doing with them!  Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a wonderful week!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Ever After, A Special Lady, & Filigreed Frames (Wplus9) Paper: Baja Breeze, So Saffron, & Whisper White (SU); aqua weave & pink plaid (DCWV) Ink: Rose Red, Regal Rose, Pretty in Pink, Marina Mist, Baja Breeze, & Wild Wasabi (SU); Jet Black (StazOn); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: yellow thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Label Layers I die (Wplus9); 2010 Sale-A-Bration punch, aqua button, white gel & blender pens, & Dazzling Diamonds (SU); white seam binding ribbon (Zipper Stop); hemp twine (Hobby Lobby); dimensionals (Scotch); oval template (Fiskars)

16 comments:

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

Such a beautiful Mother's Day card! Thanks so much for joining Embellishes Color Trends Challenge!

Laurie said...

This is gorgeous! So many fun details! I so love those flowers and your coloring! I am working on this challenge right now but have to walk away from the table because I still have no mojo! It's just not happening today! lol!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Beautiful flowers and I love that the leaves are blue.

Amy said...

Simply STUNNING!!!! Seriously, this will be a featured "hot pick" for sure! The colors, design, and overall look of the card is just beautiful!! I'm not sure how you did it but that bow is PERFECT my dear!!

~Tammy~ said...

Oh my WOW!!!!! Your coloring is amazing and you depicted the beautiful bouquet of flowers so beautifully! I sure hope your littles are better soon! I know that makes for a happy mamma too! :-)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhh I must have missed the post about your kiddos being sick!! I'm so sorry to hear that... but glad they are getting better! I absolutely LOVEEEEEEEEE your card! The colors are AMAZING! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Janna Werner said...

Jinny, this card is so yummie! Love the colours and vintage look of it. And all the best to your son. Hugs Janna

lynn said...

beautiful card, jinny! hope they feel better fast!

Tracey said...

WOW!!!!! Oh Jinny I so ADORE this card...PERFECTION in everyway!!!

Lindsay said...

This is totally gorgeous Jinny! Love the colored flowers!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Wow, I love this Embellish card. I think you matched the Square card colors perfectly. Love all the layers and great colors. Good Luck with the challenge

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Beautiful colours, great sponging, and amazing way of stacking these flowers over the sentiment panel. I love your style!!

Sandy Ang said...

Just gorgeous. Love the way you worked those colours

Trinh said...

Gorgeous card, Jinny! Congrats on being chosen as one of the "hot" designers!

Debby said...

Hi Jinny, just popping in from Embellish to see "What's Hot" - congrats! Oh my the colouring on the flowers and leaves is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Congrats on your Embellish win!