PDCC87 - Stampendous

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It's The Play Date Cafe time once again!  Welcome to Challenge #87!
Our sponsor for this week is Stampendous.
We were all lucky enough to get to play with gorgeous, cling images.  Woohoo!  Thanks ever so much, Stampendous!  I love my Swirly Bird Nest!  Combined with the barn red, slate blue, and grey color story, above, it inspired me to create this beautiful card for my hubby for Father's Day this year.
I started this card by Cricut-cutting the marquee frame from watercolor paper and its mat from Brocade Blue cardstock.  I then clear embossed the Swirly Bird Nest image in the center of the watercolor paper, rubbed Barn Red and Faded Jeans inks on my craft mat, spritzed over the image with water, and laid it flat into the ink to create my focal point.  Last time I used this technique, I spread the ink on my craft mat and spritzed right over it, before laying my image in it; and I had to try, over and over again, to cover the entire paper with ink, but it just kept falling short.  So, this time, I decided to try spritzing the paper with water and simply laying it in the ink, and it worked like a charm with no dry spots!  Woohoo!
I then set it aside to dry, while I prepped the rest of the card by dry embossing the harlequin design in a strip of Very Vanilla cardstock; trimming it, across its bottom edge, with a piece of red and blue, advertisement, patterned paper; adhering it to the Crumb Cake, cardstock, card face; and machine stitching, around everything, with ivory-threaded, straight stitches.  The "Happy Father's Day sentiment was then silver embossed in the bottom, right corner of the prepared image...
which was adhered to its marquee frame; machine stitched, around its edges, with more, ivory-threaded, straight stitches; punched, just to the right of the bird nest, with a small hole; and thread with a Basic Gray, taffeta ribbon, before being adhered, in the center of the card face, with dimensionals.
The ribbon was then wrapped around the card face; tied, in a bow, right where it protruded from the punched hole; and embellished with a red button, laced with hemp twine bows...
to complete the look.
Just love this card to pieces!  And my hubby loved it, too... Bonus!  Now, let's see what you can create with this gorgeous color story.  You have until 11:59 pm EST, on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 to link up your takes over at the challenge link above.  Please don't forget to use that link to view the rest of the Design Team's stunning creations, as well as to find out what you're playing for and to welcome this week's Guest Designer, Stephanie Severin.  Be sure to stop by this girl's blog, ya'll!  You'll always find something uniquely different and inspirational.  So glad to have you, Stephanie!  And thanks ever so much, to you all, for stopping by my little corner of the web!  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Swirly Bird Nest (Stampendous); Woodgrain Silhouettes (Wplus9) Paper: Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Brocade Blue, & watercolor (SU); red & blue advertisement (Jenni Bowlin) Ink: Barn Red & Faded Jeans (Ranger); watermark (VersaMark) Other: ivory thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Storybook Cricut cartridge & Cricut (Provo Craft); Harlequin Texturz Plate, clear & silver embossing powder, 1/16" Handheld Circle punch, & Basic Gray taffeta ribbon (SU); Big Shot (Sizzix); red button (DeNami Design); hemp twine (Hobby Lobby); dimensionals (Scotch)

8 comments:

Fiona said...

love this card Jinny :) and thanks for the tip on creating the inked background - I've had that same problem with dry spots - so I'll give your technique a whirl next time!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

GORGEOUS!! I loveeeeeeee the image and the colors! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Janna Werner said...

Ok, this is absolutely awesome. I would LOVE to have one of ur creations, Jinny!

Donna B. said...

Very pretty card! Love all your details. I'm going to have to remember to cut out panels with my Cricut!!

Maria said...

Oh my! That is one fabulous embossed bird image...so so lovely! Great inking technique! Your sewing is superb! Truly a great card!!!:-)

Ruby said...

Hi Jinny, I'm not sure if anyone else has had problems but I couldn't get the comment box to show up for a few tries. It might just be a problem my end. Beautiful card, I really love the way you've done your ribbon detail and that purpley hue at the right is gorgeous!

Andrea Ewen said...

Awesome take on the colors, Jinny...the whole card looks fabulous! What a great idea to emboss the image...it gives is such a muted, yet elegant feel. I love all the picures you take as well, I can really get an appreciation for every gorgeous accent!

Marlena M. said...

Beautiful card, Jinny. Everything is perfect. ;)