Three in One

Friday, June 10, 2011

Today is my handsome hubby's birthday!  Woohoo!  We don't have anything extra spectacular planned.  Matter of fact, he still has to work, and tonight is my son's Vacation Bible School program.  Then, the weekend brings us more summer busyness.  He did ask for grilled chicken and a Lemon Tiramisu Cake for dinner, so I'm more than happy to oblige.  And I've promised, for months, that he could pick out a new grill for his birthday/Father's Day gift; but money is tight with summer expenses and home renovations underway, and he hasn't found one that he thinks is worth the cost.  So, I've just got a little package, with some of his favorite treats, for him to unwrap today; and Adina and I took a bouquet of balloons, to his office, this morning.  Plus, I hope that I can make his day a little, more memorable with this card I made for him.
I started this card by stamping the text, in Tea Dye ink, on a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock; distressing its edges with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks; and machine stitching, with ivory-threaded, straight stitches, around its edges, before adhering it to the Crumb Cake, cardstock, card face.  I then adhered a brown, stripe, patterned paper, vertically, to the kraft, damask, patterned paper; machine stitched, with ivory-threaded, zig-zag stitches, between their connections; and adhered it over and near the right edge of the previous piece.  Would you believe that I actually thought about not using the sewing machine for this creation?  But then I realized that my hubby might not even know it was from me without it.  LOL!
A length of hemp twine was then wrapped, vertically, around the card face, over the stripe, patterned paper; laced through a red button; tied in a double bow; and embellished with the "happy birthday" sentiment, which was stamped, in Chocolate Chip ink, on a hand-cut, Very Vanilla tag.  The tag was also distressed with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks and framed with Chocolate Chip cardstock.
My cake plate consists of two, scrolled images from Filigreed Frames (I have to give complete credit for that idea to Dawn Woleslagle.  When I first saw it, on our design blog, here, I couldn't help but think that she was a pure genius!  Well, I guess we all already knew that, though.  Anyway, I LOVE it!); was stamped, in Cherry Cobbler ink, on a Very Vanilla, cardstock circle; and topped with a cake, which was stamped in Crumb Cake ink and frosted with Chocolate Chip ink and glitter.  The cake itself was, in turn, topped with a stamped, in Chocolate Chip ink, "33".  Finally, my stamped circle was distressed with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks; framed with a slightly larger, Cherry Cobbler, cardstock circle; and adhered, with dimensionals, just below the embellished, hemp, twine bows...
to complete the look.
My inspiration for this card came from ColourQ's Challenge #88...
Do You Stack Up?'s Challenge #23: Birthday (Talk about perfect timing for a birthday challenge... Huh?!)...
and this creation, from CASE Study's June Muse, Jill Foster, for Challenge #43.  I had a completely different design in mind for my hubby's birthday card, until I discovered this beauty; and I'm so glad I did, too, because I think that he's getting a much more masculine creation than I once had in store for him.  LOL!
Finally, I'm, once again, thrilled to share that this layout was a Sketchy Thursdays Fave.  Thank you so, so much to the Design Team!  And scrappers, you really must go check out this week's line-up.  You'll be blown away by all the truly amazing and inspirational creations!  What great company to be in!
Thanks so much for stopping by!  I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!  And happy birthday, Baby!  I love you!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Pile It On, Postmarked, & Filigreed Frames (Wplus9); La Lettre (Hero Arts); Sentiment Sampler (Paper Smooches) Paper: Crumb Cake, Cherry Cobbler, Chocolate Chip, & Very Vanilla (SU); kraft damask & brown stripe (My Mind's Eye) Ink: Crumb Cake, Cherry Cobbler, & Chocolate Chip (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: ivory thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); circle template (Fiskars); Dazzling Diamonds (SU); red button (DeNami); hemp twine (Hobby Lobby); dimensionals (Scotch)

19 comments:

Miranda said...

hi Jinny, cute cards, very gorgeous
and congrats with your hubby
thanks for joining the DYSU challenge this week
hugs
Miranda

Kim Ryden said...

Ha ha! Loved your comment about the stitching! Can't believe you were going to leave it out of a "Jinny Card"! :)

Love it and I'm sure he will too!

Tenia Nelson said...

So so love this card!!! tfs and Happy Birthday to your Hubby!!!!

Lynn said...

Oh Jinny...this is wonderful! Wishing your hubby a fabulous birthday!

Fiona said...

Fab card for your hubby Jinny - my husband celebrated his birthday same day as well (that would be yesterday for us!)

Jill said...

LOVING your card!! Perfect masculine card!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Happy Birthday to Hubby!! Loveeeeeeee the cards!! Just GORGEOUS!! Loving that cake! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

WencheP said...

Awesome card! Love them. Thank you for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

Lindsay said...

Awesome awesome Jinny! Happy birthday to your husband! This card is just perfect in every way! PERFECT!

Arielle ~ SnappyStamper said...

Such beautiful and fun cards Jinny! Always a pleasure visiting your blog! Thank you so much for joining us this week at the colourQ!

Sylvia Nelson said...

Beautiful cards Jinny! I love the design. Happy belated to your husband. Thanks for joining us at the colourQ this week. Sylvia

Noelle said...

Just gorgeous cards, Jinny! I love the stripes and the "33" on the cake one:) Thanks for joining us at CQC! :)

Tracey said...

PERFECT in SO many ways Jinny!!!! Happy B-Day to your young hubby!!

Janna Werner said...

Yummie gorgeous Bday card! Love the colours and you know what? It has my upcoming age on it :yay:
Have a lovely sunday, Jinny! Janna

Faye said...

Jinny, he is a handsome husband and that is a handsome card. He will love it, I know. Tiramisu cake sounds so yummy! Thanks for visiting my blog. I really appreciate the comments. They keep me encouraged.

Patrice said...

What a fabulous birthday card! The colors are perfect for a masculine card!!!

Colleen Dietrich said...

See that? You had to know what I was thinking. I was thinking, "I wonder how Jinny would do a masculine card?" ANd here you go! You did a wonderful job. I like all the little details you put into it, but still have a guy feel to the card. Well done, Jinny, and happy birthday BJ!

Teneale Williams said...

I am just in love with this card, it is PERFECT! You rocked the colour combo and love your spin on the CASEStudy card. WOW

Jean Martin said...

You make the most wonderful cards Jinny! I LOVE this! And that striped brown patterned paper just caught my eye and kept it there for a few minutes. Happy Birthday to your hubby! :)