Card Patterns Sketch 123 & Embellish Nautical Color Trends Challenge

Friday, July 15, 2011

So, today is kind of a happy but tough day for me.  Those of you who are regular followers of my blog my remember that a dear friend of mine and her family are going overseas on missions.  Well, they've been training and taking language classes, in Virginia, up until about two weeks ago.  Then, they were home, and we relished every moment we were able to spend with them; but today, they leave, on their big adventure, for three whole years.  Ugh!  I know, in my heart of hearts, that God is going to do big things in and through them.  I don't doubt it even for a second, but that fact doesn't make them leaving any easier.  I don't think that we've ever had a family that each member of my own connected with so easily, and to say they will be missed is a deep understatement.  Anyway, I was drawn to my creative space, for a little solace, this afternoon and made them this.
I started this card by ink distressing the edges of a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks; stamping it, in Crumb Cake ink, with the friend text, lighthouse, cattails, and boat images; paper distressing its edges; adhering it in the top center of a piece of large, aqua and brown, polka dot, patterned paper; and machine stitching, around its edges, with brown-threaded, straight stitches.
I then trimmed it, across the bottom, with strips of color-coordinating, patterned papers and machine stitched, with brown-threaded, straight stitches, to either side of their connections, as well as around the entire, prepped piece's edges, before adhering it to the Chocolate Chip, cardstock, card face.
A length of ivory lace was then adhered between the top of the patterned papers and the bottom of the stamped piece.  Leave it to me to cover up most of my stamping with yummy embellishments.  LOL!  It was then dressed up with a length of red, gingham ribbon, which was tied, in a bow, just right of center and embellished with a Pure Poppy button, laced with hemp twine bows.
Finally, I stamped the sentiment frame, in Chocolate Chip ink, on a die-cut piece of Very Vanilla cardstock, which had been distressed with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks; the stork image in Crumb Cake ink; and the "May His light guide you in your hour of need." sentiment in Ruby Red ink, before glittering its edges and adhering it, with foam tape, in the top center of the card face, just to the left of the embellished bow...
to complete the look.
My inspiration for this card came from Cards Patterns' Sketch 123...
and Embellish's Nautical Color Trends Challenge.
Thank you so much for stopping by, ya'll!  And Stampers, you all are resting in our thoughts and prayers today and always!  You won't be forgotten!  Happy travels!  Have a truly wonderful weekend, everyone!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Guiding Light, Brothers & Sisters, & Defining Words (Wplus9) Paper: Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, & aqua star (SU); navy & red star (Jenni Bowlin); red polka dot (Crate Paper); brown music & brown & aqua polka dot (My Mind's Eye) Ink: Crumb Cake, Chocolate Chip, & Ruby Red (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: brown thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); All Occasion Label die (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); gingham ribbon & hemp twine (Hobby Lobby); Dazzling Diamonds & distressing tool (SU); Pure Poppy button (PTI); lace (Jenni Bowlin)

13 comments:

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Beautiful card. Your coordination of the many patterns and colors turned out wonderful. Couldn't part take this week tooooooo much going on. So glad you had some time with your friends and will pray for a safe adventure for them. Wonderful work people do. Enjoy the weekend

Lindsay said...

This is such a lovely, heartfelt card Jinny! I am sorry you have to say goodbye to your good friends. Missionaries truly do sacrifice of themselves and I will surely pray for their safety and your family.

Lynn said...

Jinny, An absolutely wonderful tribute to your dear friends. Your card is beautiful and how thankful we are for your friends devoting their lives to others. Sending many prayers to them.

Elise said...

Well, FANCY meeting you here, you gorgeous card crafter, YOU! Jinny - what are YOU going to do if I pass out from the goodness of your terrific piece of fabulousness, right here! YOUR work ALWAYS takes my breath away and one day, I might just flop over..dxishfgjekhsh%;2 {That's how you'll know - LOL!} Just kidding - but girl, your work is SO outstanding! I'm just drooling over each and every detail! LOVE, love, love, of course - you're use of stamps, but ALSO : HELLO! Terrific use of sketch! Thanks for gracing us with your wonderfulness! xoxoxo!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I hope all goes well with your friends Mission! :) I loveeeeeeeeeee the card you made for them.. I am loving the mix of patterns! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Marlena M. said...

Oh, the pain... I know the pain. It's like a part of you is being cut out. God will salve it, use them...and you will ALWAYS be friends. I know it. Your card is wonderful...thank you for sharing your heart. ;)

whoistracy said...

Just LOVE this Jinny! So sweet and vintage and fun. Love all the layers. So glad you could join us on Card Patterns this week!

Kristii said...

Absolutely amazing!!! I totally love all the patterns, detail, layers, stitching....and well, I love it all! What a perfect card for your friend!! My heart goes out to you and I know God will use this time in them and in you as well!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHH! What a great sentiment--yes, His light shall guide us in our hour of need! LOOOOVe it! Great combo of challenges--you nailed BOTH! LOVE:)

lynn said...

jinny, what a gorgeous card! love all the little details, esp the glitter! i wish them a safe return:)

Cristina said...

Fabulous, Jinny! As always, perfect details. And what a beautiful way to send off your friend!

Karen said...

Love this card. Where did you get this particular stamp? it would be a great one for a sympathy card, or words of encouragement. Congrats on being published in CARDS, it helped me find your beautiful blog. I'd be honored if you'd check out my little blog, and if you would possibly follow me. You use your blog to glorify God, and it's a real blessing to me.
Karen
karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

Tammy said...

Thank you my dear friend! I love you so much and miss you!