CASE Study #49

Monday, July 25, 2011

Good afternoon!  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!  We spent much of ours working.  Thankfully the Lord gave us a slight reprieve from the heat, on Sunday, with a fabulous, cloud cover.  Would you believe that our temperature gauge read only 78 degrees, when I woke up this morning?!  Woohoo!  I'll take that any day over the triple digit temps we've been having.  Anyway, I snuck in a little creative time this weekend and wanted to share the first of several creations I made today.
I started this card by distressing the edges of the Crumb Cake, cardstock, card face and stamping it, in White ink, with the text.  I then trimmed a piece of cross-stitch, patterned paper, across its top edge, with a punched strip of Not Quite Navy cardstock; adhered it, horizontally, to the stamped and distressed, card face; dressed up its bottom edge with a length of green lace...
and machine stitched, with white-threaded, zig-zag stitches, between the patterned paper and the lace and, with white-threaded, straight stitches, to either side of the connection between the patterned paper and punched, cardstock strip.
A length of white, seam binding ribbon was then wrapped around the horizontal center of the card face and tied, in a dressy bow, near the left edge.
The "Thinking of you" sentiment was stamped, in Not Quite Navy ink, in the center of a distressed, with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks, Whisper White die-cut, which also had been stamped, in Pretty in Pink ink, with the frame and glittered.  It was adhered, with foam tape, in the center of a Pink Pirouette, cardstock die-cut, which was, in turn, adhered, with foam tape, just to the right of the dressy bow.
Finally, I created a trio of quilled, Rose Red, cardstock flowers; glittered them; flanked them with stamped, in Wild Wasabi ink, on Whisper White cardstock, and hand-cut leaves; and adhered them in the bottom right corner of the sentiment piece, to complete the look.
Inspiration for this card came from this card, made by CASE Study's July Muse, Dawn Woleslagle, for Challenge #49.
Before I run, some of you may remember this post; where I shared that we were looking for a new home for one of our pups, because she had recently started biting my youngest.  Well, we found a new home with a couple who's children have grown and moved away from home and who have another dog that needed a playmate.  What an answer to prayer, but what a tough thing to have to carry through with!  It was one thing to start looking for a suitable family, but it was a whole different story to actually have to give her to them; not because I didn't think she'd be cared for or loved, but because she's our dog and has been for five years.  We love her!
We're doing okay this morning, and I bet we'll miss her more than she'll ever miss us.  It's just been a tough couple of weeks, especially with our good family friends no longer living just a phone call away and now losing our dog.  I let Ezekiel bring our other dog's bed into his room last night.  I think they needed each other.  Sniff.  Sniff.  Okay, enough of all this!  I need to toughen up!  I'm such a girl!  So, thanks so much for stopping by, and I promise to try to be a little more uplifting around here ;).  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Mehndi Medallions, Funky Foliage, & Brothers & Sisters (Wplus9) Paper: Crumb Cake, Rose Red, Whisper White, Not Quite Navy, & Pink Pirouette (SU); cross-stitch (Sassafras) Ink: Pretty in Pink, Not Quite Navy, Wild Wasabi, & White (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: white thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); All Occasion Label & Label Layers 1 dies (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); Dazzling Diamonds & lace punch (SU); white seam binding ribbon (Zipper Stop); green lace (American Crafts); foam tape (Scotch)

12 comments:

Lynn said...

Beautiful card and so sorry about your sweet pup. We had to do the same thing several years ago. Thinking of you!

Lindsay said...

So fabulously detailed Jinny! I adore it!

artfuldelight said...

Beautiful card! I love the flowers.

I know how you feel about your pup. I have had my dog for almost 6 years and she is THE best dog I have ever had. She has been so great with my kids. But she started to have accidents in the house EVERY night (she is a chocolate lab and those accidents weren't small). I thought maybe she was upset with all the changes that kept going on in the house, I had 3 kids in 3 years and just recently started going back to school. I thought maybe she was feeling neglected so we would let her sleep in our bed or something but that didn't work. I started to look for a home but when I found a loving home I ended up backing out. I will say that it totally would have been a different story if she was biting my kids. You did the right thing and I am sure your pup is doing well with her new family. (my pup has since stopped having accidents so maybe it was just a phase)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sorry about your doggy.. that has got to be hard {{{hugs}}} I loveeeeeeee your card! I loveeeeeeeeeee that lace and the flowers! :):):):):):):):):)

Teneale Williams said...

Sorry about your doggy, I am sending hugs from Australia your way. The card is just fabulous and so pretty. Thanks for playing at CASE Study this week.

Pauline said...

A beautiful card, the layers are just lovely, and the seam binding bow is so pretty.
Shame about your dog, a difficult decision, but you probably made the right choice for your family. Xx

Joan B said...

what a gorgeous card. that bow is amazing. the children are adorable. I am glad the dog found a new home.

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Gorgeous card Jinny! Love the shimmery frame and beautiful flowers! Darling pics of your little family! Sounds like you found a happy home for your pup :) What a blessing :)

Andrea Ewen said...

Gorgeous Jinny...I feel like I say that EVERY time I'm here!! The accents on your card are beautiful, especially the way you tied off that seam binding into that beautiful bow! Darling sparkly sentiment and rolled flowers, too!
So sorry to hear of your dog...it's so hard to lose a pet! Be comforted in knowing that they are treating him as well as you have. (It's still hard, though...and, there's nothing wrong with being a girl about it... :)

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Oh my, oh my!! I'm having the same exact thoughts as Andrea - I'm always bound to ooh and aah when I come here! LOVE!!!

Laurie said...

Ok my jaw just hit the floor here! This card is gorgeous!! I love the bow, the flowers, the trim...the whole thing! Beautiful!!

lynn said...

i so love your use of the cross stitch paper and the glittered roses! such a beauty, jinny! so sorry about your pup, but a happy new home is a blessing:)