The Studio Chipboard Challenge & PS July Sparks Challenge

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

So, today has been a bit of a stressful day.  My big kiddo is being extra lippy.  I really think that he's just over tired from being in the heat and staying up later than usual.  So, it's probably all my fault; but it just takes everything out of me to have to continually be on guard and not let things just slide, which, by the way, is so much easier to do.  And all that doesn't say anything about how frustrating the whole thing is simply because he knows better.

Then, right before we left for swimming lessons, one of our dogs got out, and we just couldn't find her in any of her usual, hiding spots.  Well, I knew that was going to make us late for class, and Ezekiel hates being late.  Not to mention that we live pretty close to super busy streets.  So, that whole situation magnified the stress, even though our dog is now safe at home.

Finally, we met my sister, who lives over three hours away but was in town visiting her in-laws, and her family, for lunch, at The Legends.  With it being over 20 minutes from my house and over an hour past Adina's usual nap time by the time we finished, of course she fell asleep on the way home.  She's always been so good about going back to sleep after a quick rest in the car, but today, she just wasn't having it.  When I finally got her to settle down, I discovered that all her tears were over still being in a sundress that I was able to convince her to wear this morning.  Ugh!  She's only two and already has an opinion about what she wears and a dislike of dresses.  It's so sad, too; because, aside from her looking absolutely adorable in them, her closet is filled with gorgeous hand-me-down sundresses that are in perfect condition and old t-shirts and shorts that are stained and worn.  Anyway, after a quick change, she is now resting soundly.  We're supposed to have plans tonight again, but I'm thinking, more and more, that this troop just needs to call it quits and stay home.

Soooo, enough about life!  How about a fun, little card that I made for Ezekiel to give to one of his friends?
I started this card by adhering the orange, star, patterned paper to the Basic Gray, cardstock, card face and machine stitching, around its edges, with gray-threaded, straight stitches.
I then adhered a strip of gray, ledger, patterned paper the horizontal length of the card face and machine stitched, with more, gray-threaded, straight stitches the lengths of its top and bottom edges, before wrapping a length of hemp twine, three times, around the center of the gray, ledger piece and tying it, in a double bow, near the right edge.
The "thanks bunches" sentiment was silver embossed near the top edge of a piece of light blue, stitched, patterned paper, which had been backed with a piece of cardstock for rigidity and adhered, with foam tape, in the center of the card face, over all previous layers.
The sentiment panel was then flanked with chipboard brackets in which I tucked my veggies, which were stamped, in Jet Black ink, on Whisper White cardstock; colored with Pumpkin Pie, Soft Suede, Rich Razzleberry, Wild Wasabi, and Tangerine Tango inks and a blender pen; and adhered, in their respective locations, with foam tape...
to complete the look.
My inspiration for this card came from The Studio's Chipboard Challenge and Paper Smooches' July Sparks Challenge.
I used the draft in the bottom left corner...
and the color combo across the bottom row.
I'll be back, later tonight, with a brand new color story from The Play Date Cafe!  Until then, I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!  And here's to mine looking up!  Hugs, and thanks so much for reading!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Vegtastic (Paper Smooches) Paper: Basic Gray & Whisper White (SU); gray ledger & orange star (Jenni Bowlin); light blue stitched (American Crafts) Ink: Pumpkin Pie, Soft Suede, Rich Razzleberry, Wild Wasabi, & Tangerine Tango (SU); Jet Black (StazOn); watermark (VersaMark) Other: gray thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scotch); chipboard brackets & silver embossing powder (SU); hemp twine (Hobby Lobby)

13 comments:

Lindsay said...

You have my complete sympathy! I only have one 3 1/2 year old and he is lippy enough! I think he is all I can handle for now. Maybe one day she will wake up and want to put on a sun dress?! You can hope.

Love this card too btw, so fabulously done! I just adore those veggies!

Janna Werner said...

Love it! Have a lovely day, Janna

Kim Ryden said...

Cute card! Your day sounds kinda like mine: Late to a doctor's appointment because of insane traffic that usually isn't there, AC goes out in the car on the way there and it's already 91 degrees, daughter yelling at me to close the windows, doctor was out delivering a baby so it was a long wait to see someone (with a 2 year old in tow), waiting in the heat to see if Sam and quick fix the AC...Oh the joys of every day living. I'm just trying to count my blessings: My daughter is healthy, I'm healthy, Noah is doing great, we have a car that works and I now I have a Route 44 Sonic Diet Dr. Pepper to keep me company this afternoon! Whew!

Karen B. said...

Hang in there, we all have those days as mom and luckily have this craft and blog buddies to share struggles with.

Lynn said...

Okay...your card is super cute, but more importantly know that you are not alone with your little ones. Tomorrow is a new day...and with a good night's sleep everyone will start fresh. A couple of months ago, I was losing it with my oldest when he had friends over. I apologized for yelling when I dropped them off at home, their response, "It's okay Mrs. Mangan...happens at our house too and I'm normally the cause of it." I think our children are a lot more resilient than we are...and they are definitely better when we let them know there are boundaries. Thinking of you!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sorry you had a rough day!! I hope it all gets better for tomorrow! I loveeeeeeeeee the card! The veggies are ADORABLE! :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Super cute! I was going to use some of these stamps--and these sketches--just couldn't put something like YOUR creation together! Yours rocks--I love the colors and the colors--you nailed it:) YOU AMAZE me:) LOVE LOVE LOVE everything you make!

Lisa H. said...

soooo cute! looove those fruit.

*Alison* said...

WOW.. this is stunning... I love the colors you used.. and the whole design of your creation..The stitching and the chipboard are amazing too :) hugs

Andrea Ewen said...

Delightfullly sweet and fun! Love the brilliant colors and darling stamps!
I hear ya with the kiddo thing, just wait until they get to be 13! That's what we're dealing with, not only are they lippy, but now they can look you straight in the eye! Geesh!

Maria said...

I am in awe of your card. I just love it. Thank you for sharing your gift.

~Tammy~ said...

Oh dear, this is terribly cute and I love your use of the chipboard!

Kelly Braund said...

Very sweet!