Wplus9 September Release: Day 2

Monday, September 5, 2011

Welcome back for another day of Wplus9 Design's September Release!  I promised another project using two, Class Act and Design Basics: Classroom Backgrounds, of the four sets released yesterday; and I'm here, today, to deliver.  As soon as I got a sneak peak of these goodies, I knew that I needed to make my son's ugly, homework notebook...
into something special.
I started his notebook by stamping the "Homework" word, from Class Act, in Basic Black ink, near the top left corner of a piece of blue, striped, patterned paper...
and the "CLASS Schedule" image, from Design Basics: Classroom Backgrounds, as well as the numbered lines, from Class Act, in Basic Black ink, near that same piece of patterned paper's bottom right corner.
I then framed it with a piece of Crumb Cake cardstock and machine stitched, with black-threaded, straight stitches, around its edges, before dressing it up, just below the previously stamped "Homework" word, with a punched, across its top edge, piece of dictionary, patterned paper, which was stacked above a strip of red, polka dot, patterned paper, and machine stitching, across the bottom edge of the latter, with two rows of black-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  The entire, prepped piece was then adhered in the center of the front cover of the notebook and given just a bit more durability by anchoring it, at all four corners, with pewter, Jumbo brads.  The "Name/Address/School" image, from Design Basics: Classroom Backgrounds, was stamped, in White ink, on a piece of Black cardstock, inside the frame image, from Class Act, which was stamped in the same way; cut out; adhered in the top center of the red, polka dot, patterned, paper piece; and dressed up, above, with a kraft, striped ribbon, which was wrapped around the notebook cover and tied, in a knot, just left of center.
An apple, chip image, adhered just to the right of the stamped, "Homework" word, completes the look.
I really wanted to dress up those spirals right with lots of fabulous, color-coordinating ribbons; but my son said that would be way too girly and wouldn't even hand it over, until I had assured him that I would leave the spirals alone.  By the time he got it back, though, he was all smiles.  His gasp, when he first saw my version, above, was priceless, and I'm sure that it will encourage him to do even better with his homework assignments.  LOL!  A mother can dream.  Can't she?!

Inspiration for this project came from Embellish's Stripes Color Trends Challenge.
That's all, for now, folks!  But please, come on back, tomorrow, for even more of what these sets have to offer.  Then, I'll follow that post up by a couple more, using the other, two, all-new, September Release, stamp sets, as well as their coordinating die.  Until then, have a wonderful start to your work weeks!  Yea for abbreviated, work weeks for those of us that live in the United States!  Oh!  And remember that all the goodies you've seen here, over the last couple of days, are available, even as you read this, in the Wplus9 Design Online Store.

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Class Act & Design Basics: Classroom Backgrounds (Wplus9) Paper: Crumb Cake & Basic Black (SU); blue striped (American Crafts); dictionary (Jenni Bowlin); red polka dot (Crate Paper) Ink: White & Basic Black (SU) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Upper Crest Border punch (Fiskars); pewter Jumbo brads (SU); kraft striped ribbon (May Arts); apple chip (Crate Paper)

13 comments:

Chris and Paige Evans said...

I just love scrolling through your blog and seeing all of your fabulous creations :)

Fiona said...

Jinny this is a fabulous notebook cover! love the way you used those stamps too :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeeeeeeeeee the way you redid his notebook!!! Loving the different papers you used! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Christina said...

What kid wouldn't love to do homework in such an awesome notebook! Okay, maybe *love* is a stretch, but I just adore it! Really fabulous, Jinny!

lynn said...

so FAB, jinny! you are just SO creative!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Bless his heart! I'm so glad your son loved it. And I'm glad you left off the ribbons!

Noor Nahdi said...

Oh, such a lovely project!!!! TFS :)

anya said...

You did such a great job with this Jinny! I love all the bits and pieces you combined - what a fab project!

Mynnette said...

Simply fabulous! Love this! I wish that my husband would let me make something crafty for him to use...but you know MEN! ;D Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog. :)

Lindsay said...

This is so fabulous Jinny! LOVE it.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Fabulous make over, and I can see these stamps getting some use in your crafty space.

sandi said...

Wow! This is awesome! I love, love, love what you did with this! Fab! :)

Charlene Austin said...

Jinny....this is so fab!

Thank you so much for joining the Embellish challenge!