Papercraft Star #68 & Color Throwdown #165

Friday, October 28, 2011

TGIF!  Today has been a long time coming for us!  It just seems like school this week, in particular, has been super tough for my big guy.  Maybe we're just ready for a break.  Fortunately, we only have a few weeks left before Thanksgiving Break.  Woohoo!  Can you believe it'll be November next week?!  I think that November has got to be my most favorite month of the year, and nothing, absolutely nothing, can stop me from wearing a smile all month through... Hopefully... Maybe... Is that possible :)?

Anyway, I tied many of the warm colors of fall into a bit of a springtime beauty, for you all, today.
I started this card by piecing lots of color-coordinating, patterned papers, from my scrap bin, onto a piece of computer paper; machine stitching, with white-threaded, zig-zag stitches, between all of their connections; adhering the prepped piece to the Crumb Cake, cardstock, card face; and finally, machine stitching, with more, white-threaded, zig-zag stitches, around the outside edges of the patterned, paper-pieced piece.  I then punched lots of cloud shapes from a piece of Baja Breeze cardstock, dry embossed it with the polka dot design, distressed its edges with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks, and adhered it, near the center of the card face, with foam tape, before stamping the "just because..." sentiment, in Chocolate Chip ink, just under its bottom left corner.
Finally, I stamped the butterflies, in Daffodil Delight and Pumpkin Pie inks, on Whisper White cardstock; hand cut them out; glittered them; adhered them, just at their centers, in their respective locations; and anchored them with color-coordinating buttons, laced with hemp twine.
Inspiration for this card came from two, new challenges for me, including Papercraft Star's Challenge #68...
and Color Throwdown's Challenge #165.
Thanks so much for the inspiration, designers!  And thanks, to you all, for peeking in!  Have an extra terrific and super relaxing weekend, ya'll!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Flora & Fauna I - butterflies & Funky Foliage - sentiment (Wplus9) Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Baja Breeze, yellow design, & olive stripe (SU); yellow floral & soft orange star (JBS); green flourish (Webster's Pages); yellow polka dot (Crate Paper); yellow pinwheel (Cosmo Cricket); multi-colored plaid (Paper Studio); aqua floral (My Mind's Eye) Ink: Chocolate Chip, Pumpkin Pie, & Daffodil Delight (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: white thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Cloud punch (Fiskars); foam tape (Scotch); polka dot embossing folder, Dazzling Diamonds, & orange buttons (SU); Big Shot (Sizzix); yellow button (New Phase); hemp twine (Amy & Laurie)

12 comments:

ARTES ANDRÉA PRADO said...

Oiii Jinny!!
Loved your card!!
Gorgeous!!
God Bless

Sleepy Stamper said...

Wow Jinny this is so beautiful! I love all the different elements to this card, it like eye candy to a paper crafter, that has almost sent me into sugar shock! Thank you for joining us this week over at the Papercraft Star.

Anitra

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhh this is BEAUTIFUL! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee the negative clouds and loveeee the butterflies!! Hoping your son's next week gets better! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Laura Pryor said...

Ooooooo, totally lovely!! Thanks for sharing with us at the Color Throwdown!

Regan said...

I am totally in love with this card Jinny!! I love stitching on my own projects, so I adore seeing it here. I love that you used scraps, and the negative from the punched clouds....LOVE! Fabulous work!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

What a beautiful card--love your stitching and I LOOOOOOOVE the way those clouds look on top of the stitched background! And you know how much I LOVE butterflies--THIS IS GOOOOORGEOUS x10!

ferrellgraph-x said...

What a fun card with the polka dot embossed cardstock and punched clouds! And the quilted background with scraps is so fabulous! I'm so happy you played along with us at Papercraft Star!
Kindest regards,
Jennifer

Tracy said...

This is really beautiful Jinny! I love the "quilted" look of the paper piecing and the use of the negative of the cloud punches. Makes the card very interesting. :-) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Papercraft Star!

Lori said...

Beautiful design! Love how you used the negative of the cloud punches as the backdrop for your butterflies. Thanks for playing along with this week's Color Throwdown!

Kim Duran said...

I love the negatives used for the clouds. How clever! And I love the quilt block papers all stitched together. Gorgeous! Thanks for playing along this week at Papercraft Star!

Lindsay said...

Ohhh, love it Jinny! The use of that negative piece is perfect, love those colors too!

Joni Parker said...

HI Jinny!! LOVE the negative punched clouds...that's total genius!! Love all the stitching too!! I've been wanting to come visit you for a while and finally did!! Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving me comments!! Really appreciate that!!