Card Patterns Sketch 139 & MTMEPPC33

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Good afternoon! I trust you all are having a wonderful Wednesday!  We spent some of the morning at the library, and my big kiddo had just the best school day he's had in long time.  I soooo wish I could figure him out!  Although, my hubby's still really confusing, too.  I'm telling you, ladies, I know that it's been said that we're hard to understand, but I just don't think that whomever said that consulted a woman.  LOL!  Anyway, I have Adina's birthday card to share, with you all, today.
I started this card by adhering a piece of lacy, violet, patterned paper, which had its left corners rounded, just inside the left edge of my Crumb Cake, cardstock, card face.  I then hand-stitched scallops, with light green, embroidery floss, down the right edge of the previous piece, as well as for a few stems across its bottom edge, before topping those stems with violet buttons, laced with hemp twine and decked out with the stamped, in Chocolate Chip, Bravo Burgundy, and Lavender Lace inks, on hand-cut, Whisper White, cardstock banners, "Happy Birthday, Sweet GIRL, you're the best!" sentiment.
I then wrapped a length of white, seam binding ribbon, vertically, near the left edge of the card face and tied it, in a dressy bow, just above center...
before tucking a stamped, in Chocolate Chip ink, on Whisper White cardstock, and hand-cut branch under its right side.  The branch was then topped with a stamped, in Bravo Burgundy ink, on Whisper White cardstock, and hand-cut owl and dressed up with stamped, in Wild Wasabi ink, on Whisper White cardstock, hand-cut, and glittered leaves.  A couple of google eyes, for that sweet, little owl, complete the look.
Inspiration for this card came from Card Patterns' Sketch 139...
and My Time Made Easy's Pretty Palette Challenge #33.
I'm absolutely thrilled to share that you'll find this card of mine right at the top of the My Time Made Easy challenge link above for winning last week's Pretty Palette Challenge.  Woohoo!  Thanks so much, ladies!  What an honor!  And just yesterday, I found out that this beauty got an honorable mention over at Papercraft Star.  Thanks, again and again, to all that made said such possible!  My cup runneth over!
Now, I promise that I'll stop showing pics of all my baby girl's birthday celebrations one of these days; but because the above card was made for her, I thought maybe ya'll wouldn't mind a few shots of her birthday dinner :).  Huh?
Okay, so, maybe you'll mind even less, if I pass along the recipe to those delicious, pumpkin spice cupcakes?  It was one of those "let's put together a couple of different recipes; add a little of what I do know ;); cross my fingers and hope for the best" kind of recipes, and I'm totally thrilled with the way it turned out!
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
3/4 cup soft shortening
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. butter flavoring
1 cup canned pumpkin
2-1/4 cups cake flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. vanilla
1  pkg. (4-serving size) vanilla instant pudding mix
3/4 cup thick sour milk
3 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Cream shortening and sugar together thoroughly.  Add egg yolks, vanilla, butter flavoring, and pumpkin, beating until fluffy.  Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk.  Fold beaten egg whites in gently.  Pour into two greased and floured 9-inch layer pans or a 9 x13 pan or 24 cupcake liners and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.  Enjoy!

And the frosting recipe came from McCormick.com.

Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat one package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened; 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened; 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract; and 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cloves in large bowl, until light and fluffy.  Gradually beat in one box (16 ounces) confectioners' sugar until smooth.

Okay, ya'll!  That's all I have for now, but I'll be back, late tonight, with a brand new, soft and serene color story from The Play Date Cafe.  Until then, happy stamping!  Oh!  And please be sure to check out this post, over at the Wplus9 Design Blog, for all the current info on this and next month's releases, as well as lots of updated info on the website.  Can't wait to see what's in store for 2012!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Funky Flowers - owl & top & bottom sentiments, Love Birds - branch & leaves, & Kisses & Cuddles - center sentiment (Wplus9) Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, & violet lacy (SU) Ink: Lavender Lace, Bravo Burgundy, & Chocolate Chip (SU) Other: light green embroidery floss (DMC); paper piercing tool & Dazzling Diamonds (SU); google eyes & hemp twine (craft supply store); white seam binding ribbon (Zipper Stop); violet buttons (DeNami Design); foam tape (Scotch)

10 comments:

ARTES ANDRÉA PRADO said...

Hi Jenny! Your card was lovely with the owl! I love owls!
Your daughter is beautiful! Congratulations to her, God bless her!
hugs

Lynn said...

An absolutely perfect card for Adina...I'm sure she loved all of the purple! Love the sweet birthday cupcakes...and yum! I love pumpkin anything!

Ruby said...

Your cards just get better and better Jinny! This is lovely! I'm not sure which cupcake is better, your baked ones or your little princess! I think your little princess might just win!

artfuldelight said...

Super cute card! Love the bow!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeeeeeeeeeee that card!! BEAUTIFUL colors and loving the buttons!! And what cuteeeeeeeeeeeee (and YUMMY!) cupcake photos!! Loveeeeeeee it! Glad your son had a good day! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Romaine said...

Jinny, I love the stiitching! And the sparkly leaves! So pretty!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHH! This is perfect for your little one! She looks so happy--of course I would be happy if I was sitting in front of cake and cupcakes!! YUMMY!!!

What a fabulous card--I love that stitching and your color choices! FAB job on the sentiment--LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this card:)

whoistracy said...

What a sweet card! Love that little owl. Adorable photos of your daughter, too. Hope she had a great birthday. So glad you could play along with us on Card Patterns this week!

Lisa Kind said...

What a beautiful card! Love that bow! Thanks so much for playing with us again at Pretty Palette!

Julie Marshall said...

Love these colors together!