SIT #64

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Note: If you've come here looking for my PDCC112 - Lil' Inkers post, please scroll down.

Welcome to Sketches in Thyme's Challenge #64!
So, lots went into deciding which pictures I should put into the layout I have, for you all, today.  With Christmas being just a few days away, I naturally dove into all the hundreds of Christmas photographs I have put away in boxes.  I also know that my dear sister-in-law, Courtney, won't be with us this year; so, scrapping pictures of her, with the family (You'll find her in the Thanksgiving two-pager, that I did, for Challenge #61, last month, too.), has been a source of comfort for me.  Please tell me that ya'll do that sort of thing, too ;).  So, anyway, without further ado, here's my take.
I started this layout by adhering a piece of red, "DIAMOND INK", patterned paper across the Crumb Cake, cardstock, base pages and machine stitching, with double, black-threaded, straight stitches, around its edges.  I then adhered several strips of color-coordinating, patterned papers, horizontally and haphazardly, across its center and overhanging onto the base pages themselves.  More black-threaded, straight, machine stitches anchor them.
That sets the stage.  Now, let's take a look at the left side a bit closer.
After adhering pictures, I tucked a kraft, pocket, journaling card, which I laced with a red, stripe ribbon and tied off with a hemp twine bow, under the bottom, two photos.  LOVE how a sweet pocket can hide a little, personal journaling!  I then used my Cricut to cut a couple of Crumb Cake, cardstock snowflakes, which I distressed the edges of, with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks, just to make them stand out a bit more.  The larger one serves as the foundation for my box flower, which I made by die-cutting five scalloped circles from canvas; folding and hand-stitching them onto a canvas circle; and topping them with a red, stitched button.  A chipboard, Christmas button, as well as a red button, both laced with hemp twine, round out the bottom corner of the design.
A kraft, floral button, anchored with hemp twine; another, slightly larger, Christmas, chipboard button, which was topped with a couple of green, leaf, trinket pins, as well as a red button, and anchored with more hemp twine; and a music, tin pin, complete the left side of the design...
and turns our attention to the right.
After adhering pictures, the "ChRistmaS @ The Newlins" title was created over a large, Cricut-cut from Crumb Cake cardstock, and ink distressed snowflake and from red, foam, glitter letters; a kraft, hardcover Thicker; and mini, chalkboard alphas, which were anchored with black-threaded, messy, machine stitches, tied off, to the front of the layout, at either end.
I then created a date cluster, near the top right corner of the design, from a vintage, coat check tag; a red, "YOU ARE HERE" label, which I filled in with, Emporia, KS, December 26, '09; a pleated length of red, stripe ribbon, anchored with messy, black-threaded, machine stitches; and a chipboard, Christmas button, as well as a red button, both of which were anchored with hemp twine.
A little ink distressing with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks, as well as black-threaded, straight, machine stitching, to the entire layout's outside edges, completes the look.
Color inspiration for this layout came from My Time Made Easy's Pretty Palette #40...
and ColourQ's Challenge #116.
Now, it's your turn!  Remember that you have until the close of the month, on Saturday, December 31, 2011, to link up your takes, on Challenge #62, Challenge #63, and/or this week's two-page Challenge #64, over in the right hand column of the Sketches in Thyme Blog.  You're playing to be named one of our Top Three and/or for your chance to win the December kit from Memorable Seasons.  Please be sure to pop by the challenge link above to get all the details on that kit, as well as to see what the rest of the gals have cooked up with Tiffany's fabulous sketch!
That's all for today, folks!  But thanks so much for checking in!  And for those of you who aren't regular followers of my blog, have a truly amazing Christmas and a happy New Year!  Oh!  And Courtney, if you're reading this, I wish you the very best in all that you do.  LOVE for you to call me sometime!  Merry Christmas, and hugs to you!

{Supplies & Tools}
Paper: Crumb Cake (SU); red "DIAMOND INK" (Jenni Bowlin); black damask (Pink Paislee); green ledger (My Little Shoebox); green holly & green & red polka dot (My Mind's Eye) Ink: Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Winter Lace Cricut cartridge & Cricut (Provo Craft); Big Scalloped Circles LG dies (Spellbinders); Big Shot (Sizzix); kraft journaling pocket & green leaf trinket pins (Maya Road); red stripe ribbon (May Arts); hemp twine (Creative Impressions); kraft floral button (Blumenthal Lansing); red buttons (DeNami Design); chipboard buttons, red "YOU ARE HERE" label, mini chalkboard alphas, & vintage coat check tags (Jenni Bowlin); music tin pin (October Afternoon); canvas (unknown); red stitched button (Basic Grey); red foam glitter letters (Making Memories); kraft hardcover Thicker (American Crafts)

9 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE!!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is GORGEOUS! I loveeeeeeeeeeee the photos, the different papers you used and loving the stitching!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Julie Kelley said...

Your detail shots are delightful! The ribbon and fabric brads are swoon-worthy!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Jinny, there's a photo of Ezekiel on the top layout in this post, and BOY does he look like you in that pic! I mean, there's no denying he is your son. So cute! His cheeks are rosy, and looks so precious. (of course, Adina is too!)

Tracey McNeely said...

Excellent layouts.

Kara said...

Love all the stitching details! Thanks for playing with us at the CQC! Merry Christmas!!

LeAnne said...

Wow, I just love this---all those little goodies, the stitching, the papers, the photos! Very sweet! Thanks for playing with us at the CQC!

Romaine said...

Jinny, I love your work! There are so many pretty details here, the stitching, the tapes, the gathered twill ribbon! :0) thanks for joining us again at MTME pretty palette!

Lisa Kind said...

Wow! So much went into this layut and it is gorgeous! I love all the elements you used to creat it! Thanks so much for playing our Pretty Palette challenge. Happy New Year!