Papercraft Star Challenge 80

Friday, January 20, 2012

Happy Friday, ya'll!  We've been out and about, at Adina's dance class and picking up some necessities, and I just cannot believe how cold it is!  We've been spoiled rotten, this winter, with gorgeous weather and unseasonably warm temperatures, and I've already begun dreaming of tulips and daffodils and hyacinths.  Matter of fact, I just had to try to bring a little springtime back on this chilly day, when I saw Papertrey Ink's Make It Monday #49: Ghost Masking post.  LOVE!  Although, I have to admit that the shot below was my fourth try, and I'm still not completely happy with the way the masking lined up.  Sigh.  I still think it's beyond beautiful, though, and I'll definitely continue to work with this technique.  Thanks for sharing, Betsy!
I started this card by stamping the frame, in Jet Black ink, near the bottom center of a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock and distressing the edges of that piece with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks.  I, then, masked it off and stamped the heart strip in Basic Gray ink, the large blossoms in Ruby Red ink, the small blossoms in Pool Party ink, and the leaves in Lucky Limeade ink, before reversing the mask and doing the same thing again, with the exception of stamping off first.  A stamped, in Basic Black ink, "The heart blooms with Love" sentiment finishes the ink work.
I then trimmed the top edge of the stamped piece with a punched strip of floral, patterned paper, which is also where I pulled my ink colors from, before framing the whole thing with a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock and machine, stitching, with black-threaded, straight stitches, around the bottom edges of the prepped piece.
A length of red, saddle stitch ribbon, wrapped around the prepped piece, between the stampy portion and the punched strip, and tied, in a bow, near the left edge of it, as well as a few pieces of foam tape, prep the piece for its final resting spot on the Crumb Cake, cardstock, card face.
Further inspiration for this card came from Papercraft Star's Challenge 80 to use a frame, and if it inspired us so, to use the below photograph as well.  And oh, my gracious, I so want this bedroom!  My poor quilt, that we bought, right at two years ago, back here, is falling apart at the seams, and the ones in this photograph have me oooing and awwwing.
I also have a few recognitions to share, with you all, today.  I haven't been very good about doing so this year, but I'm uber proud of each and every one of them, and I think that it helps encourage others to find and support many of these online challenge blogs as well.  So, without further ado, I'm thrilled to share that this card and this one, as well as this beauty, were all three featured over at CREATE:, the first two for CARDS' Vellum Challenge and the third for CARDS' Rolled Paper ChallengeThese cuties put me in the Top Three over at Do You Stack Up? and also earned me a spot Guest Designing, with their fabulously talented crew, on February 9, 2012.  I hope you'll be sure to pop back in and join in the fun!
And this layout made me a Sketchy Thursdays' Fave for their final :( sketch.  Thank you so much to all those who made said such possible!  What a true privilege it is to get to be a part of this fabulous, creative community!
That's all, for today, folks!  I'm off to fold another load of laundry and try to sneak in a nap.  I'm feeling a little under the weather and think that one might do me some good.  Have a fabulous weekend, ya'll!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Ever After - blossoms, leaves, & sentiment, Design Basics: Backgrounds I - heart strip, & Very Vintage Greetings - frame (Wplus9) Paper: Very Vanilla & Crumb Cake (SU); floral (Basic Grey) Ink: Ruby Red, Lucky Limeade, Pool Party, Basic Gray, & Basic Black (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger); Jet Black (StazOn) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Label Layers 3 die (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); Edger punch (EK Success); red saddle stitch ribbon (Hobby Lobby); foam tape (Scotch)

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh what a beauty Jinny, love those colors! Congrats on your mentioned recognitions too! Hope you feel better ;)

Lynn said...

Jinny, this is beyond beautiful. Definitely at the top of my list for an all time favorite of yours!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHHHHH! Jinny--I don't understand your technique (probably because I am reading this with a migraine! LOL!)....but I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it! I love this entire card--SUPER gorgeous! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Hope you stay warm:)

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Fabulous job with the Make It Monday technique, I struggled a bit, but think I'll keep fine tuning my skills b/c I love how it looks.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sooooooooo beautiful! I loveeeeeeeeeee the colors and that ribbon! :):):):):):):):):):):)

AnitaRex said...

OH Jinny i love your card! I think you did amazing with this technique! Jinny I hear you on the cold. It's been such an amazing winter balmy at times! It was minus 41 here yesterday! :> I did worry that if the cold didn't come soon it would come in the spring but now that it's here it can go right away! :> I haven't left the house since Wednesday!

Lindsay said...

This is totally gorgeous Jinny! Oh my those colors and your card design is just lovely!

♥Jan♥ said...

What most struck me about this card was its uniqueness. The frame is wonderful, and the colors so different ! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Papercraft Star !