Papercraft Star 94: Polka Dots

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Good morning, y'all!  I'm back with the super, fun Challenge #94: Polka Dots from Papercraft Star!
I think I need a pair of those pumps!  Too cute!  I decided to use this polka dot theme to make a birthday card for one of my son's friends.
I started this card by piecing lots of polka dot, patterned papers, from my scrap bin, onto a piece of computer paper; framing the prepped piece with a piece of Pool Party cardstock; and machine stitching, with aqua-threaded, zig-zag stitches, around the patterned papers' edges and between their connections.
I then wrapped a length of red, sheer, polka dot ribbon, around the framed piece, just below horizontal center; tied it, in a bow, near the right edge; and embellished it with a stamped, in Basic Black and Real Red inks, on an ink distressed, Whisper White, cardstock, die cut tag, "a pocketful of Birthday wishes" sentiment, which was laced with hemp twine, as well as an orange button, laced with a duet of hemp twine bows.  The place where I get my hemp twine started carrying a different brand, and I've got to say that I  miss the old one.  Sigh.  This one frays way too much and even has lots of little knots, tying lengths together, like every couple of yards or so.  Grrrr!
After the prepped piece was adhered to the Crumb Cake, cardstock, card face, I stamped both the large and small pockets, in Pacific Point ink, on Pacific Point, cardstock, die cut pockets; ink distressed their edges; and adhered them, stacked one on top of the other, with foam tape, just to the left of the embellished bow and tucked under that sentiment tag.
The fun part came next!  I stuffed that pocket full of all kinds of birthday things just perfect for a little boy.  Let's start in the back left.  The present was stamped, in Lucky Limeade and Pacific Point inks, on Whisper White cardstock and hand cut out.  I then tucked in an orange and red, vintage, ice cream tab, as well as a clear, star, trinket pin.  The popcorn bucket was stamped, in Real Red and Daffodil Delight inks, on Whisper White cardstock, hand cut out, and dressed up with a little yellow glitter.  The ice-cream cone was stamped, in Soft Suede and Pool Party inks, on Whisper White cardstock; hand cut out; and dressed up with stamped, in Chocolate Chip ink, sprinkles and a Pure Poppy, cherry button, laced with Baker's Twine.  A polka dot candle, as inspired by the bottom center photograph in the inspiration graphic below, was wrapped with a length of Baker's Twine and tied in a bow.  Finally, I couldn't help but tuck in a little, green, dinosaur button to complete the look.
As stated above, further inspiration for this card came from the birthday party theme in Jay Gee's Nook's Challenge #18.
Now, it's your turn!  You have until next Monday, April 30, 2012, at 6:00 am EST, to link up your takes, over at the challenge link above, in order to be in the running to win digital pages from our permanent sponsor, The House Across the Bay.
Please also use that link to check out what the rest of the team has been up to.  Thanks ever so much for peeking in, and have a truly terrific day!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: A Pocketful - pockets & sentiment, Le Cirque - popcorn bucket, & Pile It On - present & ice-cream cone (Wplus9) Paper: Pool Party, Pacific Point, Crumb Cake, Whisper White, aqua star, & orange polka dot (SU); multicolored polka dot (Creative Impressions); red polka dot (KI Memories); blue graphic polka dot (American Crafts) Ink: Pacific Point, Real Red, Daffodil Delight, Lucky Limeade, Soft Suede, Pool Party, Chocolate Chip, & Basic Black (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: aqua thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); A Pocketful & Timeless Tags dies (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); hemp twine (May Arts); sheer red polka dot ribbon (Hobby Lobby); Baker's Twine (Clean Country Paper Supplies) orange button (SU); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); candle; yellow glitter (Doodlebug Design); Pure Poppy button (PTI); dinosaur button (Joann Fabrics); star trinket pin (Scrapbook Page); vintage ice-cream tab (Jenni Bowlin)

13 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

Love this awesome card!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I loveeeeeeeeeee this!! YOU ALWAYS rock those pockets!! I loveeeeeeee the papers you used and how you filled the pocket too!!

Tammy said...

Wow! This is such a fabulous kids' birthday card! I always find those a challenge, but you rocked this!!

Lisa said...

Love the double layered pocket loaded with birthday fun Jinny. The wee dino...CUTE. Fabulous card!!

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Wow - so many fab elements on this card! Love the pockets!!

thanks for your blog visit :)
Maria

♥Jan♥ said...

You have combined all these things into a perfect card for a boy ! I laughed out loud at that dinosaur, what a realistic idea in the pocket !! I know my grandson would think this was almost the best card EVER, but alas, you did leave out Scooby-Doo, lol. So, only 9 1/2 stars from him, but a 10 from me !!

Sylvia said...

Fabulous card, Jinny, I love all your dots! A perfect card for a boy! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Tracy said...

Oh my gosh this is adorable! That dinosaur peeking out is too funny. :-) I just love your little pocket cards. You always find the cutest things to have spilling out. Love it Jinny!

Jay Gee said...

This is such a brilliant and fun card Jinny! I can see some little boy checking out all the things in the pocket. Thanks so much for joining us at Jay Gee's :)

ferrellgraph-x said...

Oh Jinny I love all the bright and cheery colors! What a fabulous card! Every detail is perfection!
Kindest regards,
Jennifer

Sleepy Stamper said...

What a fun card! I think this is a perfect birthday card for any age! Love the pocket full of birthday goodness!

Anitra

Bente Fagerberg said...

Oh wow, love all the eye candy. Stunning cards!
I have so much to learn here!!

Christina said...

Oh wow! What a pocket full of fun! I especially love the little dinosaur and all of the bright colors!