Papercraft Star 97: Gingham or Checks

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I cannot tell y'all how excited I am for Papercraft Star's Challenge 97: Gingham or Checks!
That inspiration photograph is right up my alley, so I used every ounce of it to inspire the below creation.  But remember, that it's only there to use, if you so wish to do so.  We just ask you to use gingham or checks in your creation this week.  Onward and upward!

{Out for Publication}

I started this card by trimming a piece of woodgrain, patterned paper, just below its top edge enough to let the leaves and red, flower bud images show in the top right corner, with a strip of red, damask, patterned paper and machine stitched, with black-threaded, straight stitches, across the latter's top edge.

{Out for Publication}

I then framed it with a piece of Real Red cardstock and machine stitched, with black-threaded, zig-zag stitches, around it edges.  The rooster image was hand cut from patterned paper and stamped, in Basic Black ink, with the "HOOT & HOLLA' It's Your Day" sentiment frame, as well as the "CONGRATS" sentiment itself.  I just cannot get over how perfectly it fit in that little framed block!  I also couldn't resist adding a touch of glitter to the rising sun.

{Out for Publication}

I then anchored a length of red, gingham fabric, with black-threaded, straight stitches, pleated, across the sentiment piece's bottom edge, before adhering it, with foam tape, just below the red, damask print.

{Out for Publication}

Finally, I wrapped a length of red, saddlestitch ribbon, around the prepped piece, just above the rooster image; tied it, in a bow, near the left edge; and embellished it with a black button, laced with a duet of hemp twine bows, before adhering the entire panel, with foam tape, to the Whisper White, cardstock, card face.

{Out for Publication}

Further inspiration for this card came from the Gingham Challenge in the Moxie Fab World and PageMaps' 6th Anniversary Celebration Card Contest.
Now, it's your turn!  You have until next Monday, May 21, 2012, at 6:00 am EST, to link up your takes, over at the challenge link above, in order to be in the running to win digital sheets from our permanent sponsor, The House Across the Bay.
Please also use that link to check out what the rest of the team has been up to.  Sylvia is our featured designer this week and is making those THATB images absolutely shine!  Thanks ever so much for stopping by, and have a wonderful Wednesday!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Label Layers 4 (Wplus9) Paper: Whisper White & Real Red (SU); woodgrain (Crate Paper); red damask & rooster (Jenni Bowlin) Ink: Basic Black (SU) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); gingham fabric (JoAnn Fabrics); Dazzling Diamonds (SU); black button & red saddlestitch ribbon (Hobby Lobby); hemp twine (May Arts); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives)

21 comments:

Lynn said...

The sentiment simply makes me smile...and I always, love, love, love gingham!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I loveeeeeeeeeeee the red, the sentiment and LOVE LOVE LOVE how you combined the twine and ribbon!

Ros said...

You totally rocked both challenges with this lovely creation ... Way to go Jinny!

Larissa Heskett said...

OMG!! This just makes ME HAPPY!! =) It reminds me of the curtains my mom had in our kitchen when we were growing up!! =) I LOVE the farm theme it is just too COUNTRY CUTE!! =)
I actually live in S.W. Nebraska, but we go to Tonganoxie alot to visit!! I have three nieces there and the youngest is the same age as my son Beckett so they just have a BLAST with each other!! I usually try to make it crafting when I go either in Shawnee or just to Archiver's!! There aren't any stores close to me so this makes it NICE!! =) THANKS for the sweet comment on my blog and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

Sylvia said...

Fabulous card, Jinny, I love your checks, stitching and the rooster! Awesome work! So glad you are my teammate! Have a wonderful day!

Lisa said...

PERFECTION Jinny! This little card be framed and hung on the wall in that inspiration photo! LOVE it ;)

♥Jan♥ said...

Another week you make me laugh ! Picking up that rooster from the pillows, pure genius. (tho' I don't find a rooster all that cozy, lol ...) And yes, this is one of those you ought to frame. Fun fun fun !!! ♥J♥

Tenia Nelson said...

Awesome!!

Sleepy Stamper said...

Jinny I love this card! This patterned woodgrain paper looks perfect with the image and checks! I"m totally inspired by all the beautiful stitching you do!

Anitra

LeAnne said...

Super cute....roosters are so trendy right now and I love your color combo!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Oh, I love that inspiration photo VERY much! It gets me all giddy with inspiration. (guess I will have to play along)

You've created the cutest country card, right down to every little detail!

Tracy said...

AH HA! You've used one of my favorite thing--a chicken! LOL My kitchen is done in chickens and roosters so I get excited when I see "fowl" stuff hee hee This is such a great card. I love the little skirt of gingham fabric. :-) Hugs!

SmilynStef said...

What an awesome card ... and perfect sentiment.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love your western inspired card - it's awesome. Blessings!

Lyndal said...

HUGE Congrats on your Moxie Fab win Jinny! :) :) :)

Karen said...

congrats....very neat card...great elements you added...

Teresa Zuehls said...

Congratulations on your win! Your card made me smile. Love the farm feel and the ruffled gingham.

Stephanie said...

Yay Jinny! Congrats! Your card is wonderful!! Have a great 4th!

Nina Yang said...

great design Jinny!

donna mikasa said...

Congrats on your gingham win at MFW! I especially LOVE those ruffles!

N@ said...

congrats! amazing card!