Papercraft Star: Cardstock Anniversary Challenge

Friday, June 29, 2012

Hey, y'all!  We're celebrating our 2nd Anniversary over at Papercraft Star!  That means a quartet of challenges are coming your way, this week, from each of our crazy talented designers.  They all began with Jan's challenge to emboss something.  Then, Sylvia challenged us to make a card with our favorite cool summer drink; and tomorrow, Anitra's got one final challenge to round out our anniversary week.  We'd sure love to have each and every one of you come join in the fun!

So, back to the real purpose for this post.  LOL!  Today's challenge comes from me, and I'm giving y'all a Cardstock Challenge to create any papercrafted project without using patterned papers.  That's cardstock and embellishments only, folks.  Now, I'm going to share my project first; but please, be sure to read all the way to the bottom, because I've got a little surprise for you ;).

{Photo Removed for Publication}

I started this card by piecing one of the floral images from 229 Vintage Flower Seed Catalog Digital Collage Sheet...
onto the right side of the post card image from 045 Blank Backgrounds Digital Collage Sheet.
On the left side, I pieced the cursive script from 141 Text Writing Background Squares, which I had applied a gradual transparency effect to, before I printed it on Whisper White cardstock; framed it with Wax Lips cardstock; and machine stitched, with yellow-threaded, zig-zag stitches, around its edges.  I then set it aside to prep the card base.
A piece of Gumball cardstock was dry embossed with the tulip frame and lightly ink distressed, before being adhered to the Banana Split, cardstock, card face.

 {Photo Removed for Publication}
 
I then wrapped a length of red, gingham ribbon, vertically, around the left half of the card face; tied it, in a bow, near the top edge of the card face; and embellished it with a red button, laced with a Baker's Twine bow, before tucking the prepped digi, with foam tape, just underneath its bottom edge, in the center of the card face.

{Photo Removed for Publication}

The frame was stamped, in Riding Hood Red ink, on a Butter Mints, cardstock, die cut label, which had been ink distressed with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks.  The "thanks FOR BEING YOU" sentiment was then stamped, in Basic Black ink, in its right center, before dressing its left center with a butterfly, from 062 Butterflies Digital Collage Sheet...
which I printed on Whisper White cardstock, hand cut out, and adhered just at its center.  The sentiment frame was then adhered, with foam tape, in the center of the card face, to complete the look.

{Photo Removed for Publication}

Now it's your turn!  You have until Monday, July 9, 2012, at 6:00 am EST, to link up your takes, over at the Papercraft Star Blog, on ANY of our Anniversary Challenges, in order to be in the running to win a digital sheet of your choice from our permanent sponsor, The House Across the Bay.
AND I promised you all one more little surprise.  I will be awarding one uber talented designer, for today's Cardstock Challenge, with a package of Bazzill Basic's NEW! Card Shoppe 8-1/2" x 11" cardstock.  That's two each of 28 different colors.  And don't worry.  The below display was created from my own package that Bazzill gifted me.  Thank you so much, Emily!  YOUR package is still shrink-wrapped and ready to be put in the mail.
Bazzill has been working with its paper mills to create the perfect premium, smooth, heavy-weight cardstock that will be a sweet treat for every card-maker.  Now available in 28 coordinating colors including Gold Coin, Easter Grass, Gumdrop, and Taffy.  The paper is a stout 100 lbs. and folds with a crisp edge.  It won't warp when used with markers, inks, or mists and can handle loads of embellishments without sagging.  Available in 8-1/2" x 11" only.  Sold in 25 sheet packs.
Now, while the above card is almost entirely made of Bazzill cardstock, it was just too thick to go through my printer.  It kept jamming up.  So, I resorted to Stampin' Up's Whisper White to print my digital elements only.  But y'all, I've been playing with these fabulous cardstocks all week, and I LOVE them!  They've held up to nearly everything I've thrown at them, and I adore the sweet names!  For the sake of giving you a little more inspiration of patterned-paper-free creations, here's a recap.  Bazzill from Monday's Welcome to the Neighborhood treat bag was stamped, wet embossed, and watercolored to dress up a special package.
Bazzill from Tuesday's I Love You card was stamped, dry embossed, machine stitched, distressed, and paper pieced.
Bazzill from Wednesday's Take Joy in the Little Things card was stamped, dry embossed, debossed, die cut, punched, scored, ink distressed, and pierced to create a handmade embellishment.

{Photo Removed for Publication}

Bazzill from Thursday's A Star is Born card was misted, painted, stamped, machine stitched, and pierced.
And that leads us to today's Thanks for Being You card which was stamped, punched, machine stitched, dry embossed, ink distressed, die cut, and used to highlight those gorgeous THATB images.  Okay, y'all, now get to it!  I can't wait to see what you come up with!  Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a wonderful weekend! 

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Very Vintage Greetings (Wplus9) Digis: 229 - Vintage Flower Seed Catalog Digital Collage Sheet, 045 Blank Backgrounds Digital Collage Sheet, 141 - Text Writing Background Squares, 062 - Butterflies Digital Collage Sheet (THATB) Paper: Whisper White (SU); Gumball, Banana Split, Wax Lips, & Butter Mints (Bazzill) Ink: Riding Hood Red & Basic Black (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: yellow thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Label Layers 3 die (Wplus9); Tulip Frame embossing folder (SU); Big Shot (Sizzix); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); gingham ribbon (Hobby Lobby); red button (DeNami Design); Baker's Twine (Clean Country Paper Supplies)

9 comments:

Lynn said...

Such gorgeous cards all week and today's card is no exception. I love the beautiful floral vintage paper too.

Kim said...

Beautiful card! Love all the details and the layering! I loved reading all the steps :)
~Kim

Sylvia said...

Beautiful card, Jinny, I love the butterfly on this card as well. You used some lovely digitals to create all these projects. Have a wonderful day!

Annette said...

such beautiful cards...I just love always how you layer...such a great eye for detail...your stitching is also amazing...

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Today's card is just GORGEOUS Jinny!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee the butterfly and the flowers!!!!

♥Jan♥ said...

I have never attempted a challenge like this (on purpose anyway!) and I am anxious to try it !! I honestly had to look at this a couple of times to be sure it really didn't have ANY dp on it. What a success !! Hugs - J -

Sleepy Stamper said...

Wow Jinny you have just gone to town with the digital images! I love how you have paired them all so beautifully! This was a challenge indeed for me but I love trying new things! Such a fun challenge!

Anitra

Dawn said...

These are all GORGEOUS! I really really love the first one. The colors are so fresh and fun! Oh and your pictures look even better than usual. And you doing something different?

Sue Wieberg said...

Love all of your creations. The one you did for PDCC is amazing. I just love that rosette with the ribbon.